Wednesday, July 7, 2021

NAIDOC WEEK

 


This is NAIDOC Week (National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee), an Australian observance from the first to second Sunday in July each year.

As NAIDOC Week celebrates history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, it seemed a good time for a return showing of my treasured  painting 'Bush Medicine' by Jeannie Petyarre, an Anmatyerre woman from the Utopia Region in Central Australia. 

Born c. 1950, Jeannie comes from a famous family of artists, including Kathleen, Violet, and Ada Bird Petyarre, and her aunt Emily Kame Kngwarreye.

Jeannie was encouraged to paint her family's Dreaming stories and paints representations of traditional plants that her people collect for food and medicinal purposes.  In particular she represents Bush Yam and Bush Medicine leaves. She also depicts the Awelye ceremonies in which the women participate to pay homage to their ancestors.

Jeannie Petyarre is represented in the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra, State Galleries, and has exhibited around the world.

Jeannie Petyarre with one of her paintings.



We have had a lot of rain lately, and the Red Cardinal Garden of Neglect is grateful.

The pink rose has flourished like never before...

Brisbane seems to have managed to dodge another Covid outbreak (fingers and toes crossed), while poor Sydney is having an awful time of it with the Delta variant.  So sad we cannot have a visit from our darling twins this week.


The beautiful exhibition from the New York Met (last post) continues to attract big crowds.  The Gift Shoppe is fantastic, and I bought this attractive green trinket box, as a special memento.


It fits in with my current whim, Chateau Chic, inspired by binge watching Escape to the Chateau during lockdowns...

Anybody else out there keen on Dick and Angel and their French Chateau?


My sister and I found this Art Nouveau settee at the Antique Centre - so cheap, it had to come home to fit in this lonely nook in our sitting room..
Eventually I will choose a fabric and have it recovered...







We are currently caring for an extra collection of plants - our local son and his wife are between houses, and his cactus garden has come to roost on our front deck.  It is moments like this I am glad we have a large house:

Mr. Prickle and Mrs. Prickle




We bought a little sundial on a recent drive in the country.
Mr Cardinal likes to say it is a bit fast...



The world's most famous 95 year old, H.M. the Queen is looking very happy to be out and about - here at Royal Ascot looking fresh and Spring-like...


A moment later and here she is smiling in Scotland, putting in a four-day week of engagements, accompanied by various family members...

And then home to put her feet up?  Not a bit of it.

Right on to a four day weekend at the Windsor Horse Show:



Having the best time....



Big smiles while she makes presentations...

The Queen's youngest granddaughter, Lady Louise Windsor, competed in carriage driving.  She has inherited Prince Philip's carriage and horses:


She has grown into such a pretty girl, now about 17...

Be good and stay safe

XXXX







19 comments:

  1. Your treasured painting is interesting and has much history behind it. Your pink roses are lovely as ever, Patricia, and I'm glad you got so much rain making them blossom. We really need the rain here. This is the same color that I've been looking for to plant a full rose bush in my front yard. I now have pink mini roses, but I want a full rose bush as well. Your green trinket is unique - so glad you found something at the gift shop to bring home with you. Your deck looks very charming with the white boards. I noticed that right away. So nice of you to look after your son's cactus and plants.

    Stay well during this time, Patricia, and happy July days to you.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a pink fan - paintings, flowers, anything! Pink mini roses sound very desirable, must put them on my list. I do hope we can keep those cactus alive - it has been quite wet here lately! Happy July Sheri.

      Delete
  2. Angel and Dick have been entertaining us over here for several years from the time that they first purchased the Chateau. I just don't know quite where they both get all of their energy from, and Angel is such a happy smiley gal.
    Love your art nouveau settee, and if it was such a bargain you were very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We marvel at the energy of Dick and Angel too. She is a lovely charming woman, and makes everything look beautiful. Our settee cost a fraction of the modern sofas our trendy children buy :)

      Delete
  3. Your painting has lots of movement to it, along with meaning and history. So glad your garden is getting some water and hopefully your pink roses will continue blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie. I love the paintings by the women of the Central Desert. Plants and flowers bring so much joy into our lives.

      Delete
  4. Jeannie Petyarre's painting would make a lovely dress pattern, Trish.

    The Queen is amazing!

    Lately I love everything roses. I wear it as a scent and buy liquid soap that smells like rose, so my bathroom, too smells of it! I don't buy perfume, but 5% rose oil, mixed with carrier oils.

    Stay well, Trish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for roses, the most beautiful scent of all! You are onto my wavelength about the painting - only today I had delivery of a lovely length of pink fabric with a Central Desert design. I tried to paste a picture here but it didn't work - I will show it another time.

      Delete
  5. Hello Patricia. I hope you are well.
    The Queen looks radiant and certainly younger than her 95 years. Keeping busy and engaged in the world is the trick I think…. probably having a personal hairdresser helps!
    Your son is fortunate you have space for your plants we are currently paying rent on an ‘in between house’ while we sell and find a new home. Phil has a big collection of bonsai and I inherited dad’s orchids plus plants that various people have given us … enough to start a nursery!!
    I do love Indigenous art. It is so intricate and meaningful. I have 2 pieces in the cupboard downstairs that belong to my son which I am babysitting he was given them by an indigenous friend in Airley Beach.
    We are still hoping to go to the exhibition but we are in the middle of selling and open houses and it’s difficult to make plans especially when you have to book. However after Monday we’ll have a timeframe and I hope to make a booking.
    Do hope you have sorted your eye problems.
    Cheers. Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so in the same age-group - taking care of our son's pieces! I hope you are finding space to care for the bonsai and orchids, which require special attention. I am awaiting results of a blood test which might throw light on the eye problem. Meantime, I would suggest going to the Exhibition while there is no covid in the community, and take a mask. It can be quite crowded in there. Cheers.

      Delete
  6. A lovely catchup post, Patricia. Funnily enough we too are having a lot of heavy rain interspersed with warm sun, but it isn't really summer as we would like it. Mr and Mrs Cactus look quite at home on your front deck, and I do love your art. It's really lovely. As for the queen, she looks positively radiant! Wonderful. I hope Brisbane remains Covid free. We are having climbing numbers yet again. It's very depressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. I guess global warming is taking a rest and we are having a great wet season. I think I will miss the Cactus clan when they go - although they are not fun to care for, being prickly and all. Brisbane seems to have managed to avoid the spread once more but Sydney is getting into trouble, 50 new cases today and they cannot get it under control. Alas, it might be a long time before we can see the twins in person, but on Facetime we saw them clapping hands and playing peek-a-boo, delightful :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Patricia so nice to hear from you. Glad you are all doing well. So little time to even catch up with my favourite bloggers. I’m so sorry to hear you are having trouble with your eyes; it must be a terrible worry fire you not to mention a bloody nuisance. I admire your courage in tripping away the lure being the twins of course. I have ventured only as far as my friend’s apartment st the Gold Coast. We are so lucky here in Australia and especially being in Queensland. I hope there is a chance to have a Spoolette catch up soon Hope it goes well at the ophthalmologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sophie, great to see you too. We have been lucky over the past year and have managed 3 visit to Sydney, but our luck has probably run out now. The opthalmologist thinks I have an auto immune syndrome, so I am having tests. The joys of getting old :) Would love a Spoolette catch up, when it is safe. I don't do well out in the sunshine, it hurts my eyes. Happy sewing, I am making something green...

      Delete
  8. I'm glad to have seen Jeannie Petyarre's work, what a talented artist. And I love the photos of the queen, as always. She is such an inspiration.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia, isn't the Queen the most amazing 95 year old? Cheers xo

      Delete
  9. Hello my beautiful Trish!
    I love Jeannie's paintings - how lovely! And what an important thing...to celebrate their culutures. Love that! I am SO very sorry that their continues to be such outbreaks. Ugh!! This virus needs to be obliterated from the planet! I cannot even imagine how tired of it you all are over there. The world needs to get better so I can travel to Australia one day and see the beauty for myself. 😊
    I ADORE escape to the chateau and have watched all of the episodes! That would have been my dream in another life. To do exactly as they did. (I even ordered a couple items off of their website 😉) I hope I might visit there one day too.
    The Queen is an absolute energizer bunny! She amazes me! I pray and hope things improve there and lift soon. You need grandkiddo time pronto. 🙏 Blessings to you Friend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie! I love that you watch the Chateau. My dream too, he he. I have been looking at that website, maybe will buy their fabric for my settee. I can see the US is doing really well now about the pandemic; what a relief that must be. I fear the worst might be still to come for us - a few hotspots have popped up overnight not far from us. fingers crossed XXX

      Delete
  10. Please read this, I'm highly thankful to you Dr WHITE for the help you have given to my family also for bringing my family back to me after all hope was lost due to I have made contact with many spell casters both online and physically but none was able to help me until I met Dr WHITE my life has been very wounderful also filled with joy happiness because finally my family is back as one, since you helped me my husband has been treating me very nicely also treat me as a queen that I have always desired most importantly he doesn't have mistress any more he gives me his time attention like never before . Thanks very much Dr WHITE, he can help any of those problem.

    (1) Do you want your Ex back?
    (2) Are you always having nightmares?
    (3)Do you Want to be promoted in your workplace?
    (4) Do you want women / men running after you?
    (5) Do you Want a spell bear a child?
    (6) Do you Want to be rich?
    (7) Do you want your husband / wife to love you forever?
    (8) Do want to increase the size of your dick?/last long when having sex?
    (9) Do you Want to recover your lost money?
    (10) Do you want to stop a divorce?
    (11) spell to receive your dept.
    (12) Do you want your every wish to be granted by anyone?
    (13)Do you want spell to conceive?
    (14) Do you need a magic Ring?
    (15) Are you finding it difficult to win a case in court?
    (16) Do you want to marry your partner as soon as possible?

    email address is: wightmagicmaster@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +17168691327

    ReplyDelete