Tuesday, June 29, 2021

IN THE DARK TUNNEL

 


I know, it's been ages.

While I figure out where I have been, here for your enjoyment: a few images from the wonderful exhibition 'European Masters from the Metropolitan Museum, New York' - currently showing at QAGOMA, Brisbane.

Marie Denise Villers [France]  'Marie Josephine Charlotte du Val d'Ognes' 1801.

Georges de La Tour [France] 'The Fortune Teller' c. 1630



El Greco [Crete] 'The Adoration of the Shepherds' c.1605-10

There are 65 Masterpieces in the collection, which spans 500 years of European art from 1420 to 1916...


It seems I have had Writer's/Blogger's Block for ages...
Also not finding time for stitching and sewing, photography, painting...
Always tired, and my eyes are hurting.
Been going to the Optometrist countless times since March, while he says 'nothing is wrong'.  Except it is.  I am off to an Opthalmologist next week.

Velazquez and his studio [Spain] 'Don Gaspar de Guzmain' c.1636


Bartolome Esteban Murillo [Spain] 'Virgin and Child' c.1670s

Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun [France] 'Comtesse de la Chatre' 1789.

Interactive space: Take your photo at 'Monet's House'


Bought a pair of Pheasants at the Antique Centre...

We are in lockdown again.  The Delta strain is popping up all over.
I have been attempting to get vaccinated since March.
Seen my doctor each month, but because of my allergies and past history of problems with medications, and the fact the only vaccine available for my age group is Astra Zeneca, she keeps putting me off 'just wait for Pfizer'..

Last week she gave me a letter to the Health Dept. requesting they give me Pfizer as an exemption - but my application so far has been denied.

Carlo Crivelli {Italian} 'Madonna and Child' c. 1480

Caravaggio (Michelangelo Merisi) [Italy] 'The Musicians' 1597

I can hardly believe we have this famous painting by Caravaggio temporarily located in our city.  There are books in my collection featuring this image....
and this one (below) which I first saw in a University text book many years ago:

Lucas Cranach the Elder [Germany] 'The Judgment of Paris' c.1529


Our twin grandsons were due to visit us next week with their family.
Alas, the borders are closed, and they are also in lock down, as is most of Australia.


We bought twin highchairs last week, in anticipation...


In other news, Young Aussie our eldest grandson has two pet geese in his menagerie.  They are enjoying life with his fluffy chickens and are delighted to swim in their dam.






The joys of music:
Last Sunday we attended a magnificent recital at the Concert Hall:
The internationally famous Piers Lane performed the complete cycle of Chopin Waltzes - and two beautiful Beethoven Sonatas as well.  

He is based in London, and was unable to come to Brisbane last year for his annual return to his hometown..
and was welcomed by a packed audience.




How times can change in an instant - now we are all locked down and again the theatres and galleries are closed while the authorities try to restrain the Covid19 virus.

Apologies to fellow bloggers who have left comments on my previous post.  You are so kind to go looking for me, and alas, I was not paying attention and only found them this week.  I have replied to you all, if you wish to peek back there.

Meanwhile, I vow to get out the new camera (have forgotten how to use it) and go take some photos around the district.

Let's have one more painting - from the best ever Exhibition:

Pierre-August Renoir [France] 'By the Seashore,' 1883

I love and appreciate you all.
Thank you for being there..

XXXXX









15 comments:

  1. Dear Patricia - what a wonderful exhibition of so many of the Great Master's work. However, I must admit that I am rather taken by that first image of you - I love all of the perspectives.
    This Pandemic appears to have exacerbated so many extra problems for everyone just trying to get appointments and tasks fulfilled etc. Sorry to learn that you are still awaiting your jab, fingers crossed it will happen soon for you.
    Take care in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, I am glad you like my selfie - I was rather pleased with it too. It is a mirrored transition area leading into the Baroque/Rococo section of the Exhibition and is very popular with the public. As Brisbane has been covid-free for months, I was scheduled to do my first guided tour of the exhibition this week, but at the moment the gallery is closed, and it is too risky for me in any case. (Guides are not permitted to wear masks).

      Delete
  2. Hello Patricia,
    What a great exhibition to visit. So many beautiful paintings. I hope you soon get your Pfizer shot. I am scheduled for my second one on the 10th of July. Things are opening up here dramatically tomorrow. It's kind of daunting to think that we will not be required to wear masks, and that so many restrictions will be lifted. And I hope that your eyes get a good diagnosis and effective treatment.
    You asked about how hot it was here. We reached 40 where I live, but in the interior it was 47.6 - hotter than the hottest temperature ever recorded in Canada, and even in Las Vegas NV. It's been incredible and so debilitating. Fortunately, a cool wind began blowing last night and today's temperatures are predicted for the high 20s, which is bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you are on schedule for your Pfizer shot. Australia's vaccine roll-out has been poorly arranged, and the price seems to be showing up now. We have rarely worn masks but that might be about to change. 40 is awfully hot - too hot for normal activities. 47.6 is incredible in Canada, and I hope those folks have air-conditioning. High 20s is soooo much better :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Trish! I am so sorry to hear about lockdown again. It is so awful and frustrating!! It breaks my heart how many folks in different countries are fighting so hard to get the vaccine and we still have too many ding dongs here that have access easily and won't get it! It drives me crazy. Praying for you, your eyes, your country and for the complete eradication of this dang virus!!
    I adore the beautiful art and culture you share here. It's amazing. Blessings to you and stay safe and healthy. 🙏 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, I had a smile re the ding dongs :) We have a few of those too, but not enough vaccine to worry about them just yet: everyone who is entitled can get it if available. So pleased you enjoyed the art from New York - it is just wonderful to see it here in Australia. Blessings xx

      Delete
  4. Oh Patricia, I am so sorry you are having a tough time with your eyes and other issues. I can relate to the problems over the vaccination. I haven’t had mine for the same reasons and also the history of thrombosis in my family. The AZ is not for me, but my doctor can’t help because that’s all they have at the practice as well. Fingers crossed we can both be ‘done’ before too long! The art works are simply beautiful. I love the Renoir in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Val, I am sort of glad to know I am not alone here! Australia chose to go with AZ last year, and started manufacturing it. Now they are having trouble giving it away - and have ordered other vaccines which have not yet arrived. Unfortunately the Delta strain has arrived. Isn't that Renoir gorgeous - it is as vivid as a peacock's tail in reality!

      Delete
  5. Trish, I had to come here to know the Met photos are away and not at the Met. I'll happy you get to stand before them as I have many times here in New York City. Small world, my friend!:) I haven't been to the Met during Covid so didn't realize they were missing. At first the Met was closed for the longest time, then when it re-opened, you had to go online to make an appointment and go at a sign up time. Before Covid, you could just walk over there anytime and stay as long as you liked. So I'm not used to the formality nor the exactness of going to the Met.

    I'm sorry to hear you are once again in lockdown. If the variant from India gets to a certain percentage here, we too will go back into lockdown. How I wish everyone would get vaccinated to head this off, and then we can get past this pandemic. I think your time in lockdown will help slow it down as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Only 65 of the Met's European collection are here, but we are lucky indeed to have them. They are renovating that part of the Met and so some paintings are on 'holiday'. We have control systems and tickets for numbers here too - it is the only way to control the crowds these days. I think it is the variant from India that is here - just a couple of cases but they are trying to stop it immediately. A short lockdown is welcome for me at the moment, time to catch my breath and do a few tasks around the house :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Patricia!
    How funny I was thinking of you just yesterday, how the exhibition has had to close led to I hope all is well with you.
    I am distressed to hear you are having problems I hope the ophthalmologist sorts it all out for you.
    As I sit here in Lockdown once again I can only laugh, our house was due to be listed for sale yesterday, we have rented a house locally so that we can look for a new home carefully as we have specific needs. All that contains is our extensive plant collection. Phil dabbles in Bonsai, and a table! We must be the only people paying rent for our plants! All of our books and other personal items are in a container somewhere in Brisbane waiting for the remainder of our furniture. So I choose to see the funny side of the whole situation…. otherwise I’d cry!
    My plan is to see that amazing exhibition once we are ensconced in the rental.
    We were lucky that our son and partner were able to join us from Sydney for a milestone birthday and my son stayed on to help clear 21 years of ‘stuff’. I’m so sorry that again you have missed precious time with your family.
    I hope all goes well with your appointment such problems are scary so I am sending virtual positive thoughts and a hug. Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindsey, it has taken a while for me to put a blog together. Been a few too many stresses, and a lot of work on the Met Exhibition. Oh my, what a bad time to be selling this week! I like you plan, renting in the interim so as not to rush buying. I will be interested to see how it works for you, as one day in the near future we will have to do the same. At this stage, I guess it totally depends on whether they can stop the virus spreading as to if/when GOMA can open again, and tours recommence. I am sure you will love the paintings. How good you had family here - it is so hit and miss when it comes to travel. Thank you for the positive thoughts - I will be glad when the appointment is over :) P.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Val, for your kind wishes. I wonder how many other oldies like me have been told to wait for Pfizer - and are being unfairly tagged as reluctant to vaccinate by the Government. This Exhibition is such a thrill to see - but the crowds do spook me! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patricia, I'm sorry Australia is in lockdown again. This is the first time that things have been somewhat normal in California. Some places don't require that you wear masks, restaurants are opening, and even Disneyland opened back up again. But I'm taking it slow, cause being cautious is just in my nature. I'm so sorry your eyes have been hurting you lately. You know, one day out of nowhere, I just started to get the eye "floaters." It was so bothersome and went to an eye doctor, and I think it may be just allergy related, but they come on more often now as I get older. The artwork is beautiful, especially Mary and Jesus. I've seen that one before. That is a cool photo of you in the hallway of the art exhibit. How delightful that Aussie has two pet geese now. The photos of the geese swimming on the water are so pretty.

    Happy July days, Patricia, and I hope you get the answers you seek about your eye care. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, what great news about California. The US seems to have done well with vaccination etc since January 20. Isn't that Madonna by Crivelli gorgeous! One of my favourite works. The geese are called Russell and Sheryl - kids have funny ideas for names. Fingers crossed for Monday. Have a great weekend.

      Delete