Tuesday, October 23, 2012

THE LITTLE DISHWASHER THAT COULD

Well Hello dear Readers,

This is going to be something new: a Naked Post!
For once, I am unable to access my photos or download new ones.  I am on a borrowed computer as, like all faithful gadgets, my computer has reached the End of Its Natural Life.
The Blue Screen of Death is about to hit, and I am saving its last scraps of electronic sanity for the necessary business of transferring my files all over to the New Puter, which should arrive by weeks end.

Meanwhile, we'll just have a little chat.
About 10 days ago there was an electricity blackout in the area, accompanied by a power surge.  I was working on the computer and it suddenly dropped out, never to fully recover.

Then there was the dishwasher.  The next time I turned it on, it went for about 5 minutes then stopped, amid flashing lights and desperate beeping sounds.  After a few repetitions of this, I emptied it all out, looked for caught or hidden items (there were none) and tried again.  Same result.  Eventually I became tired of this game and rang for a repair man.  Many days and several phone calls later, I spoke to an actual Technician, who asked for details of what it did when it came to a halt.  I turned on said Dishwasher while we spoke, saying "it'll stop any minute"!  Well, I bet you know what happend: ten minutes later it was still humming along merrily, filling itself with water and going about its business.  Polite conversation was exhausted, and I had to admit to Mr Repairman that it seemed it had Self-Healed.  Got off the phone asap, and imagine yet another technical person has written on my file "Hysterical and Delusional Old Woman", or words to that effect. 

Am I the only person, or do other people have these experiences?  and don't even get me started on the tricks of the sewing machine ...

Today I saw the optomotrist, after several years absence, and was not particularly surprised to learn that my eyesight has deteriorated in every way - short, long, middle distance: all gone off.  New specs ordered, and nice new frames, with a cluster of diamonte bling in each corner.  Can't wait for my new look face!

Hope your week is a good one, and your electronic appliances are all behaving beautifully!

xxx

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, my life is blighted by temperamental machinery. It annoys me even more when something stops working for me, but suddenly comes back to life when someone else picks it up! Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrr indeed - they do it to drive us crazy, Sulky!

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your computer! Hope you are back to business as usual soon I completely identify with your comments about "machines making fools of us." use to happen with me with cars. It would be making funny sounds, take it in and it is perfect for the mechanic. Do show us your new glasses when you get them. And I am glad you didn't have to replace the dishwasher. Tomorrow is another day, as Scarlett O'Hara said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanda, new computer should arrive today. Then we just have to get it up and running!! Might take a while for us old dinosaurs ...

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to get the new girl up and running, Valerie! Cantankerous appliances are the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My computer is getting close to the end, too. It's been especially bad the last two weeks - maybe jealous that I have been on the sewing machine, which has been humming along beautifully. (20 year old Bernina.)
    I do hate it when an appliance is broken and refuses to quit working until the repairman leaves. And that's what always happens to me. And don't get me started talking about broken cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, another computer flirting with the Blue Screen of Death. It is completely normal for one appliance to be jealous of another, also to copy the other's behaviour and to decide to die on the same day. Ours are all deviates! Even our bathroom scales have got in on the action and passed away this past weekend! Know what you mean re broken cars - Aaaaagh

      Delete