Thursday, March 16, 2023

THE WEARING OF THE GREEN

 


   
Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you all...


I have just a little Irish heritage, having one set of Irish Great-Grandparents, who emigrated to Australia back in the Olden Days...

I was taught by Irish nuns in primary school, and learnt an Irish Jig...
And was assured by them that I was named for the greatest Saint of all:
Saint Patrick


And now, since one of our sons married an Irish Lass, we have three tiny part-Irish grandchildren, the wee twin boys and their little sister who will soon have her first birthday.  They are the light of our lives these days....


This photo was taken when we travelled to Ireland in 2016 for their wedding.  It was my first sighting of a Buttercup, and to my delight, little Shamrocks in the background.


It is nice to look back on our visit.  Here I am with Oscar Wilde's memorial.  Trust him to climb up the rock!


The magnificent Long Room at the Library of Trinity College, Dublin, where we saw the Book of Kells...



A beautiful, and very ancient, Irish harp in the Long Room..


The Green...


Glendalough in County Wicklow, and the Shrine of Saint Kevin..
He founded a monastery here, and died about 618 AD.


Saint Kevin's church - the monastery continued for many years, and the buildings which remain probably date around 10th - 12th centuries.




Note the green post box:





A few shots around Dublin..




I loved the colourful painted doors..


As we sang at school on 17th March each year:

'Hail Glorious Saint Patrick'!




Have a good day

XXXX












25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Happy Saint Patrick's Day right back to you :)

      Delete
  2. Dearest Patricia,
    Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you in a very special way!
    Glad to see that our footsteps have crossed in beautiful Ireland where we did lots of mushroom seminars all over the island.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'footsteps have crossed': I like that, Mariette. I think we have done that a few times. I sure can imagine mushrooms growing in Ireland!

      Delete
  3. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Trish! Ireland looks green and charming. I'd love to go, too, one day. I didn't know there was a Saint Kevin. How did I not hear of him?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green and charming, to be sure. I never knew of Saint Kevin until we were there. He was a 'fun' saint, lived in a cave for a while. If you search Glendalough you can read his story. Do they still have a St Patrick's parade in NYC? That would be fun too.

      Delete
  4. Love the pics! And Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! I share a bit 'o the Irish too. Actually a fair amount and I recently had a genealogist work on a project for my Mom and they found the town in Ireland where my relatives came from. I hope to go visit one day. 😊 Blessings to you fellow Lass. 🌈 ☘️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, the Irish are all over the world. Great to know you found your ancestral town. I know my region, but not the town. Hope you visit one day, it is a small country and easy to get around. Blessings and shamrocks to you too. xx

      Delete
  5. . . . . . Trish, your great photos of your special visit to Ireland brought back so many memories of our times there - many of the same places/sights! We hope to go back again as Bob is still searching for more ancestry info on his paternal Grandfather from Castleisland in Co. Kerry.
    Hope your 'St. Paddy's Day' celebration was fun dear. Off to put my greenish sweater on - it's chilly here today but sunny right now - rain coming in later which will feel very 'IRISH'.
    Erin Go Bragh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ireland Forever! We never quite let it go :). I am sure you have had wonderful times in Ireland and I do hope you get back to Co. Kerry. Definitely a day for the green sweater, and I wore a loose green linen top to celebrate. Might go all out and wear my green dress to Mass with my Shamrock earrings, and maybe the Shamrock scarf I bought at Trinity College, lol.

      Delete
  6. I am lovin' all the green on here today, Patricia. That's so special that the Irish Nuns told you you were named after St. Patrick. Those wee baby pictures are so cute. And now you have passed your heritage down to your grandchildren. The green post box is delightful. How wonderful that your great grandparents were Irish. All my children are part Irish on their dad's side. It's a wonderful heritage, and I always pretend to be Irish on this day as well. ; )

    Happy St. Patrick's Day, sweet friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun, the wearing of the Green. Our Irish nuns were Very Keen on St. Patrick, and we always sang 'his' hymn. I loved the green post box, the only place in the world where they look like that. Your girls do look at little bit Irish, I can definitely see it. Hope you enjoyed St. Patrick's Day too, dear Sheri.

      Delete
  7. Happy belated St Patrick’s day, Trish! Ireland is so beautiful and its history is fascinating. You must be proud of your Irish heritage and connections. I loved this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Val. I do like to have a little Irish heritage, but then I enjoy my much larger ancestry from England, too. Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete
  8. Happy St Patricks Day! I'm Irish, lived there til I was 18, but I live in England now. Still Ireland will always be home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. How nice to live at Emerald cottage! Happy St Patricks!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a splendid look back at your time in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you enjoyed Saint Patrick's Day, Patricia. I enjoyed all things Irish in your lovely post.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to see some of your grand Irish adventure! Thank you for sharing my dear!

    ReplyDelete