Tuesday, January 3, 2023

WELCOME TO 2023

 


Hello Dear Readers..

2023 has arrived, a baby New Year as full of promise as the tiny pink buds on my favourite rose bush.

At the Red Cardinal nest, we no longer stay up until midnight to welcome the new year, but had a very pleasant roast chicken dinner with champagne accompaniment.  It was followed by an assortment of unusual chocolates kindly bestowed on us by our children for Christmas.



As other bloggers have commented, I too cherish the week after Christmas as a special quiet time, a time to regroup and recover.

Our Christmas was very special, a beautiful lunch at the home of one of our sons, enjoying the company of our three youngest grandchildren and our other son and his family.  The twins, who are two, really enjoyed the whole Christmas period, with a visit to Santa Claus,  decorating a Christmas tree, and the placing of a Nativity scene.  They loved all their gifts and had a generally fabulous time.


Due to a lot of heavy lifting during Christmas prep, we both acquired sore joints and knees after Christmas Day, and have had a very quiet time recovering.

After a few days, we starting on the Garden of Neglect, and a lot of weeding and pruning, and planting of herbs has been going on.
Every year I report on my efforts to keep my pansies flowering from our mid-year Winter (best time to plant Spring flowers), until my birthday in November, or better still, Christmas.

Well this year, I have triumphed!  For the first time I reached the New Year, and still have a pot of blooms:


Will they survive another heatwave?
Tomorrow is predicted to be a 37 c. 'scorcher'.
Come on little flowers, you can do it...


I have been walking as much as possible.
Sometimes I take the road past these beautiful horses:



They are so friendly to a passer-by...


This week we have been not once, but twice, to the movies.
This is noteworthy as since the global pandemic began we have only been once to a movie theatre.  We went in the morning to a small local theatre with a very small audience.  And wore masks.



We love history, and loved 'The Lost King'.
Perhaps you might remember this true story: the movie is about the discovery in 2012 of the remains of English King Richard III by Philippa Langley, a British writer and researcher.  I was fascinated at how she became interested in the fact that Britain's last warrior king, defeated and killed at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485, had no known final resting place.  Using her astonishing research skills she came to a reasonable conclusion that a certain area in the City of Leicester was worth investigating, and she was right.

I came home, downloaded Philippa's book on my Kindle and am engrossed in finding out more details than the film could cover.



Our film festival continued a few days later with this one:


'The Banshees of Inisherin' is set on a remote island off the coast of Ireland in the early 20th century.  Both comical and tragic, the story of the breakdown of a friendship is told against the background of the Civil War.  The photography is magnificent and I think this one could be Oscar material for 2023.


Trillium, the floral emblem of Ontario, Canada

Our big plan for 2023 is a trip to Canada to visit our daughter and her family in Ontario.  We have made our reservations and in a few months will be flying across the Pacific, the first time since 2019.  I can't wait to see a beautiful Canadian Spring once again.

Happy New Year everybody!

XXXX

Canadian Lilacs










27 comments:

  1. Dearest Patricia,
    Lovely flowers you show here.
    We too used to have those lovely blue Agapanthus flowers but the voles ate all their bulbs.
    Violets are not that happy in 37°C... they prefer cooler environments.
    Spring in Ontario will not start that early but I presume that you will stay for a while to see it unfold!
    Big hugs to you and so glad that we all return to normal days. We just got home last evening from Sarasota, Florida. The traffic was awful — it took me 8 instead of 6.5 hrs and I'm the sole driver. So glad I reached home in the dark but on familiar territory.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a long drive for you from Sarasota, in heavy traffic. Glad you got home safely. We will go for the month of May to Ontario - the third time we have done this, because I love Spring so much :)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Trish! Well done on your pansies. That really is an achievement! I haven’t been to the movies at all since the pandemic, not that I went often before, but I think I’d still be hesitant here. No one takes any precautions at all in the Netherlands. How lovely that you’re going to Canada in the spring. I really need to attend to my little garden, but the weather is just too inclement at the moment. Happy 2023, Trish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Val. Hi from the pansies, funny little old-fashioned things they are. Very wise of you to refrain from movies, for the same reasons as we have been most reluctant. No one takes precautions here these days either, except we older souls who wear our masks and avoid crowds. I hope your weather improves as the year goes on. Soon there will be daffodils! Happy New Year to you Val.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to You & Yours
    The flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Salty Pumpkin, and Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  4. A lovely post Trish with beautiful flowers to decorate it. Congratulations on those hardy pansies.....not looking forward to a hot day. Christmas sounded a wonderful family time and I hope you and Gary are now recovered. I too love the restful period after Christmas. How exciting to have a Canadian visit to look forward to xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed with those hardy pansies - only a strong plant blooms at this time of year in the heat. We are just about recovered from Christmas, and off to see the grandies soon. Details for Canada were sorted with our travel agent today - exciting!!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year my friend! For a period of time now rose has been my favorite scent in body oils and such and sometimes when near a rose bush, you can smell them. Beautiful to look at also. Pansies remind me of a childhood neighbor who always planted them in her front yard. They too are beautiful! The horses are gorgeous. Happy to hear all is well also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year dear Debra. I love the scent of rose too, and use a rose spritz after I wash my face. Our pink rose has a faint scent; it is an old-fashioned variety and flowers continuously through the year. Pansies and horses, it is a semi-rural environment out here :)

      Delete
  6. Those horses you pass by are beautiful. It is strange to hear that it's a scorcher of a day there, as I look out my window and see the snow fall. The roast chicken and later champagne and chocolate sounds delicious. I'm happy for you that you are planning a trip in the new year to see your daughter. That must be exciting.

    Have a bright new year, Patricia. May you have so much goodness come to you throughout the year.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, yes, the horses are beautifully cared for, with gleaming coats. I am thinking of your falling snow as the heat is high today - a thunderstorm likely tonight. It has been three years since we travelled across the ocean, and I am so excited we can go - fingers crossed it all happens as planned. Thank you for your sweet wishes, and I hope goodness and joy comes to you in your beautiful part of the globe too.

      Delete
  7. So nice to hear from you and to come here to catch up on things in your world, I was tickled to see that your pansies lasted so long. Pansies were my Mother's favorite flowers. I have a few things depicting them, a mug with the flowers and a painting come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dear Darla, here we are growing old together and still doing the blogs! Well done us! I love that you are painting and doing your crafts. Your painted pansies sound nice, and a reminder of our mothers. I have been doing some 'slow stitching' lately. I think it is a new name for what we have always done lol

      Delete
  8. How lovely to see your bright flowers and the sunshine all around. Congratulations on nurturing your pansies through the heat. Roast chicken with champagne followed by chocolates sounds like a lovely way to bring in the new year. May in Ontario should be a lovely time to visit. We are flying out at the end of June to visit friends there. It's a part of our country that I know very little of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie, and the pansies send their regards. It will be our third Springtime visit to Ottawa, and I loved it in the Springtime. I hope you enjoy your time there as much as we do. We are planning a weekend in Toronto which is more cosmopolitan, but I also love a little jaunt over into Quebec where we can pretend we can speak French.

      Delete
  9. Your Christmas holiday sounds so lovely! Always the best to be surrounded by family! I am so happy to hear of your trip to Canada to visit your daughter! Sending you big hugs my dear! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamera, we are so blessed to have family nearby at Christmas, and are full of anticipation for our Canada trip. Happy New Year. Hugs right back to you xoxo

      Delete
  10. Dear Patricia - it is great that you will once again be able to travel to Canada and be with your family there.
    The garden of neglect is looks very pretty - lots of lovely pastel shades to be seen.
    Ireland is such a lovely scenic country. Having travelled to both the north and the south on two different occasions I am feeling tempted to return again. We have recently seen a wonderful travelogue featuring many stunning areas in both the north and south of the island which has tempted us to return again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, we have had good rain this Summer which counteracts the odd very hot spell of a few days. The flowers are pleased! I do hope you go to Ireland again, it is so lovely. We enjoyed our short visit in 2016 for our son's wedding, but should have explored more than we did. The vivid green landscape is a lasting memory.

      Delete
  11. Oh I want to see that first film you told us about! I remember when they found those remains in the parking lot!! We have pansies here in Georgia during the wintertime and they usually survive but our last cold spell at almost zero degrees killed a great many. Maybe they will perk up in some sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, as an English girl you must see this film, or at least read the book! Pansies are very tough, but they have their limits, and I can imagine zero degrees would do it. They also are not keen on extreme heat, but this year our weather has included a bit more rain than we often have.

      Delete
  12. Well done your pansies! And good luck for the 37 degree ordeal. I saw trailers for both those films and suspect they didn't do them justice. They've all had such great reviews and comments, but the trailers didn't do them any favours for me. But then, I often find that, it's one of life's little mysteries as I am sure they spend a fortune on the promotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the trailers are poor, I agree. And the reverse can happen to me, I think it looks good and it is a disappointment! Hi from the pansies, they survived the heat :)

      Delete
  13. Hello dear Trish! It's so nice to be back to blogland and catching up. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas with family (minus aches and pains - I feel ya there!). I love the season so much and it always flies too fast. But your beautiful flowers feed my soul - because the other buried in snow parts of me - dreams on Spring to come. So it's lovely to see your summer begin to bloom! Those movies look good. I especially want to see the Banshees one.
    How exciting to have a big trip planned too! I pray 2023 bring you excellent health, peace and lots of joy. 🌟 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Banshees movie won a Golden Globe - but it is not for the faint-hearted! The heat comes and goes, and the flowers are still blooming which lifts my spirits. I imagine you are dreaming of Spring, but I am happy to look at as many snow photos as you can share :) Good wishes to you for the years ahead. xoxo

      Delete