Thursday, April 25, 2019

ANZAC DAY AND EASTER



LEST WE FORGET

Today is ANZAC Day, when we remember the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, established in World War I.
My grandfather like so many Australians, served on the front line in Flanders, and two great-uncles of Mr Cardinal lost their lives there, young men far from their homes in Queensland.



I made some Anzac biscuits, as is my tradition...
Containing oats, butter, golden syrup, coconut and flour, this recipe was developed around the time of WW1.  The biscuits were sent to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily, and the they lasted well on long sea voyages.
The recipe contains no eggs, apparently due to a shortage of eggs (many farmers joined the war effort) as well as the fact that eggs would shorten the life of the sweet and healthy treat.

This is my recipe:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup coconut
4 oz. butter
2 tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
2 tablespoons hot water

Combine oats, flour, sugar and coconut.  Melt butter and syrup in saucepan until combined.  Mix bicarb with boiling water and add to butter/syrup.  This will froth up very quickly so use a medium size saucepan.
Immediately while frothing add to dry ingredients and mix together.
Place teaspoons of mixture on greased tray or on baking paper, allowing space for the biscuits to spread.  I cook at 160C for 15 minutes, but I have a hot oven.  Yours might take longer, or need a slightly higher heat.
Cook until golden brown but not burnt!
They are quite soft when cooked, but harden a little as they cool.

Did you make Anzac biscuits today?
Tell me your preferred recipe/method..

We stayed home this Easter..it was Family time.
My younger sister had a birthday and we gathered a few of the clan for a celebration at the Red Cardinal nest...

When your birthday falls at Easter, you get an Easter Birthday cake from your big sister...


as well as Hot Cross Buns...


Easter Sunday saw us singing and celebrating in church, followed by brunch with our younger son and his wife.


They really know how to set out a beautiful spread...
So healthy, we felt no guilt re our chocolate Easter eggs...


Her Majesty stepped out wearing her Australian Wattle Brooch - to my delight, and it loos perfect with yellow.
Long-time readers might remember I acquired a replica of this brooch when we toured Buckingham Palace in 2016.


I rarely get a chance to wear it, but I do love having it...

Reminds me of when I was a little girl who was captivated by the arrival of the young Queen to our shores, and by the idea of the wattle brooch presented by the Australian people.

And Happy 93rd birthday to Her Majesty this week.


She was a little fashion plate even 90 years ago, aged about three!


It was also lovely to see Catherine of Cambridge on Easter Sunday in this lovely chic hat and coat first worn at Easter in Australia a few years ago.


In other family news, Little Aussie now has pet chickens..
I think his smile says it all....

A bit from left field, but a great Easter present..


The owl is working very well, and the cockatoos have not been near the herb garden which is now flourishing ...
Sadly, it has also frightened off the lorikeets whose feeder is about 4-5 metres away.
They have not been here for days.

I need to move the herbs and owl a bit further off, and perhaps find extra rations of lorikeet treats...


Have a great week

XXXX








18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I have read about those biscuits, how clever to make something without eggs and it worked out for the best anyway! I do remember you showing us your lovely brooch! Isn't the Queen amazing? I follow Princess Eugenie on Instagram and she had a photo on there recently, I told her....You look nice but the Queen, WOW! I meant it too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, So sweet that you remember by brooch. The Queen is totally amazing, and looking fresh as ever. Always outstanding in a crowd. I wonder how they came to invent the Anzac recipe - war brings out lots of innovations when times are difficult.

      Delete
  2. That is interesting Val, and I must remember the rice flour as we have a few GF in our family. Sometimes I need to add an egg when I use low-fat spread instead of real butter. And there is no chance of my Anzacs needing to last for months. They go in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Aussie has a beautiful smile. Eggs are always in my refrigerator.

    Happy 93rd Birthday to the Queen!

    Those ANZAC cookies look and sound delicious. I'm sure I'd love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the sweetest little boy Debbie. Love my grandsons. I think I should send you some Anzacs one day - I wonder what Customs would make of that, he he

      Delete
  4. Your sister did you proud with her Easter/Birthday cake (Happy Birthday!) and I love the spread that your son prepared as well. Another lovely post altogether.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter Amalia. Everything was delish, and now we are all on exercise and diets :) xx

      Delete
  5. Your sister's birthday cake looks so Yummy, Patricia. And those hot cross buns I love!! My father used to have them every year at Easter, so it's a tradition of mine to get them each year to remember him. The ones I get usually have a lemon filling. Little Aussie sure looks like he's having a good time with the chickens. And I love that little owl. It looks so real. She's a sweet addition to your garden.

    I'm glad you had a nice Easter with your family, Patricia, and I hope the remainder of the April days are good ones.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that you have hot cross buns over there, Sheri. And I like the idea of the lemon filling very much. The little owl is very sweet, and I like it too. Isn't it funny how those big baby eyes terrify other, larger birds :) Enjoy your pretty Springtime.

      Delete
  6. Such a great post! Love how you admire and share our amazing Queen and the Royals as I still do despite being gone for so long (1962) Patricia. I'll be crossing the pond and getting home next week for a quick visit - better get moving on packing!
    I wonder if an owl would keep the deer away from my roses?

    Happy weekend - Mary

    P.S. I must try those biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I am sure you remember the Queen well from when you were a little girl, just as I do. I thought she was the stuff of fairytales! Have a lovely visit home - perhaps you will be there for the birth of a new royal baby.
      You might need a bigger fake owl for the deer, but a pair of scary eyes does seem to do the trick :)

      Delete
  7. Such a great post! Love how you admire and share our amazing Queen and the Royals as I still do despite being gone for so long (1962) Patricia. I'll be crossing the pond and getting home next week for a quick visit - better get moving on packing!
    I wonder if an owl would keep the deer away from my roses?

    Happy weekend - Mary

    P.S. I must try those biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopped by to see how you are doing and found a recipe. Lucky me! I'm going to give these a try. I do love that wattle broach. I can imagine it pinned on a heavy scarf where the scarf is thrown over your shoulder. Sparkly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darla, you will be an Honorary Aussie if you make and eat ANZACS! Wattle sparkle is excellent, especially as mine has no real diamonds :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Trish 😊
    I love catching up with you and learning more about the holidays and traditions in beautiful Australia ;) And it sure Looks like it was a lovely Easter and bday celebration for all! 🎂 That cake looks SO good - as do the buns. Yum!

    So happy to hear the owl is working - but hope the lorikeets come back. Lol Blessings to you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came back! See next blog post. It was a lovely family Easter - the best kind! xxx

      Delete
  10. I remembe when Queen elizabeth visited here, when I was a child...I have several commemortive magazines that my Mom had saved, as she was born in Britain. I have my Moms original passport, when she came here...boy am I off topic! hahaha! I do believe The Queen is a fabulous figure in the world, and it will be a very hard act to follow.
    Now...your comment over at mine, re the sweet birdhouse...your daughter could get you one either at WInners,Homesense or Marshalls...they are a Spring thing here, and probably not easily available when you visit Canada later in the year...and Id be glad to make you my infamous Key Lime Pie if you visit me! 😘
    Enjoy your weekend...Your easter looked splendid!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic you have those magazines from the Queen's visit. Mum organised me to make a scrapbook of her first visit to Australia, which must have been about the same time, as I think she did a world trip.
      I have noted down those shops, and will get our girl on the case. I do love Spring in Canada but this time we are doing Autumn. If you lived a bit closer to Ottawa, I'd be over like a shot for some Pie!! Happy weekend Linda.

      Delete