Wednesday, April 17, 2019

CATHEDRALS




Hello Dear Readers..


Recently I had the most enjoyable experience of singing with my Ladies Choir in a local Cathedral:

I am behind the camera in this shot in the opposite choir stalls

The choir stalls are exquisitely carved, and I felt very privileged to sing in such a space, and feel our voices soaring up into those gorgeous Gothic arches.. 

We have visited many cathedrals around the world, and all of them have a special aura, a place away from the outside world, a place of mysticism and quiet contemplation, conjured up by great architects over the centuries.


No doubt like many of you, I have been looking at my own pictures of the very special Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, devastated by fire this week.


So sad to see the lovely statues hoisted by crane from the smoking ruin, and thankfully conveyed down the road to the Louvre for safekeeping and restoration..


Each time we have visited Paris, we have attended Mass here...



We are told the magnificent rose window and the organ have been saved, thankfully...

Google picture
I feel so shocked, and sad for the people of Paris, as they watch this very special historic cathedral devastated by fire.  
Restoration will take time, but one day it will rise again.






We are enjoying the cooler Autumn mornings, and mild days.
The garden is responding, and flowers beginning to bloom.


The Red Cardinal nest has had the exterior professionally cleaned:
windows, screens, paths, and all external woodwork and walls.


After five hours watching the team, I felt great..

I hope the house felt similarly freshened for Easter...


XXXX

9 comments:

  1. It was very sad watching the fires rage on at Notre-Dame...
    Fortunatley they plan to rebuild and I understand UNESCO will be involved as the cathedral is a world heritage site.
    Like you I looked at my Paris pictures from 2015...and we plan to see it again this Fall but in a different state...one of restoration. I plan to donate some Euro's too when I am there...like many of the millions who visit Paris every year we cannot help but be moved by this amazing iconic structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shocking, wasn't it? It is good that UNESCO will be involved; I had not heard that.
      When you visit this year, it certainly will be a different experience, but an interesting one. We visited New York, quite by chance on the first anniversary of 9/11. We went to the site which was still being cleared and it was a powerful and shocking experience.
      I would like to donate to Notre Dame too, if not in Australia, but when we go to France in September.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the photos of Notre Dame. I have never been there but felt such a strong sadness at seeing it burn. I love it, even though I have never viewed it not even once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to see, whether or not you have visited. It has the similar feel of other iconic ancient Cathedrals, very solemn and profound. Why not catch the train over to Paris on one of your UK trips :)

      Delete
  3. Singing in the cathedral must have been a lovely and memorable experience for you all Patricia, and how very gratifying it must have been to have all that toil and cleaning done for you in just a matter of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the cathedral experience, and hope to do it every year. As for the cleaning, we have reached the age where we try to keep our energies for the things we love, and outsource the big jobs!

      Delete
  4. How beautiful the rose window is! So happy it survived. Love these series of Easter photos, Trish!

    (My charger died last week and when I tried to leave comments using my iPad, they didn't post for some unexplained reason, so I'm commenting again, Trish.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woes of the internet generation! So much is unexplained, I never know what to do when the computers do not function :)
      The rose windows are glorious, may they last many more centuries.

      Delete
  5. Your resume should detail all of your current qualifications.You should list all of your achievements,
    satta king including your degrees, degrees and certification. Do not leave out anything that is relevant to your previous employers.

    ReplyDelete