Thursday, May 11, 2023

Spring in a cold climate


 Hello again

Well it just took me a good ten minutes to find my way back to the Dashboard - but here I am, still enjoying the wonders of the area around Ottawa.

Today we ventured to the art and tourist town of Almonte.  The melting snows create amazing rushing rivers foaming over the rapids in the centre of a pretty town.



I went fossicking with my daughter and found a few treasures - they are still packed for transit.  A  busy quilt shop yielded some fabric pieces: Canada geese and Maple leaves, as well as a nice haul of red Cardinal buttons.







It is incredible to me watching the Spring flowers emerge so quickly.  You n just five days we have gone from a few tulips to Apple blossom trees, Lilac, Forget-me-nots, Lily of the Valley spreading right through the city.  My daily walks are a joy of discovery.  

Last evening we saw and heard a red Cardinal high in the back garden in the tree tops.  They are quite shy it seems and try as I did I could not catch it with the camera .  It was up here:


At the end of the street is a very cute tiny library:


My daughter took a book down and traded it for Spare! I always said I would not buy it or read it but now it is here  am reading a bit of it out of curiosity.  I doubt I will go much further than just a quick scan.



Off to Toronto for a few days.  Bye for now.


11 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a great time in Canada. Yes, if there's a bit of warm weather in spring all the flowers rush to bloom and fill the gardens with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish our flowers would rush like this! Yes we are enjoying our time in Canada very much Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Spare either, but if I saw a copy I might peep in too. I dear it would be embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a peek has certainly not changed my thoughts on the matter.

      Delete
  4. Reading your post somehow brought back the feeling of Canada to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time so far dear Trish - so happy the springtime flowers and blossom trees are welcoming you - I know they are probably different from the more tropical flora in Australia.
    Enjoy Toronto, I always have when visiting there when Bob used to go often for work. My family roots on mother's side go back to there - her father was born in Nova Scotia but grew up in Toronto.
    Happy Mother's Day tomorrow - lovely you are there with family to celebrate.
    Hugs - have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed my reply did not publish! We are enjoying Toronto and going to see Hamilton today for Mothers Day. Toronto has certainly grown since our last visit in 1999! Xx

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful trip so far Trish! Welcome to close to my neck of the woods. Lol I bet the time with family is the BEST of all!! Happy Mother's Day to you. I hope you all have a wonderful day. πŸ’ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes time with family is the best. We see them so rarely. The boys grow so fast! Weekends we are doing special activities as they are at school during the week. I am also enjoying bagels and cream cheese each day: never do that at home πŸ˜πŸ™‹‍♀️πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you are having a great time with your family, Patricia. I just spent time with my family, and was there for a week! The little library is so cute, and a pretty color of PINK! Looks like the flowers are starting to blossom. Have a fun and safe trip to Toronto. Take care,

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, that is great to have a week with your family. I am trying to do a post on our weekend in Toronto which was amazing.

      Delete