Monday, May 8, 2023

Ottawa


Hello dear readers,
The Red Cardinals have arrived in Canada and are now safely enjoying family time in our daughter’s home in Ottawa.

The 14 hour flight across the Pacific to Vancouver went well.  I managed a few hours sleep and watched two movies.  The meals on board were very nice.

On our tenth visit to Vancouver airport, it was reassuring to see the Jade Canoe sculpture still there.



We missed the coronation telecast while en route but I have seen the ceremony recording since arriving.
I loved the music in the Abbey, the traditional ceremonial aspects, and the pageantry.  I wish King Charles and Queen Camilla well in their new roles.

Of course I loved the sartorial splendour of the robes and ladies fashions.  It is too difficult using the phone to put up all their pictures, but top marks to the Royal women in their white gowns and ceremonial capes: the Princess of Wales, Duchess of Edinburgh and Princess Anne especially.  I loved the Queen’s gown, elegant with gold embroidery and the fabulous Coronation diamond necklace. 
In the absence of tiaras (too controversial) I liked the Princess of Wales and Princess Charlotte’s matching sparkling silver laurel wreath headbands.  

There were hats, many very chic indeed.
My special picks for ladies fashion are Queen Letizia of Spain in pink; lady Louise, daughter of the Duke  of Edinburgh; Zara Philips; Princess Mary of Denmark; Dr Jill Biden; Mme Macron; and Princess Beatrice.



On Sunday afternoon we attended a Coronation garden party at the local historical museum.






It was light-hearted and fun.  We enjoyed a jazz band, celebration cake, made paper crowns, and inspected traditional needlework.  
To end the day, our grandsons introduced us to toasted marshmallows, complete with crackers and a square of chocolate.  Very festive.



I hope this blog will be readable!
Have a great week. 




12 comments:

  1. The blog was perfect, Trish, and well done for posting so many photos. I don't think I could manage that on my phone at all. I'm so glad you arrived safely and aren't suffering jet lag or any other travel ailments. It looks as if you're already well settled. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. I lost the post and photos a couple of times in the process but got there in the end. More practice will help. Not too much jet lag because we had 24 hours in Vancouver to sleep and rest before the flight across to Ottawa. We are so happy to be here.

      Delete
  2. Pleased to see that you have arrived safely Patricia, and how well you have done posting all of this so quickly.
    You look as if you are having a great time, and now you have even been throned a Queen too. I too loved the crystal tiaras worn by Catherine and Charlotte.
    That is a beautiful large clump of white Trilliums, something I have tried to grow but they do not like my soil.
    Have a continued great time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long journey in our advanced years. We were clearly the oldest on the plane! However we are recovered and keen to make the most of our time here. The trilliums were at the garden party, the official emblem of Ontario. I like them too.

      Delete
  3. Your grandsons made you S'mores! So happy that you are in Canada with your family. A 14 hour flight. I would be so proud to have survived that! You know, one of my favorite dresses? The two attendants of Queen Camilla wore matching dresses, they ft so perfectly and were just so pretty. And I only saw it in a photo, but the Queen of Spain, I think it was, was it the pink one? I loved that! Do you wonder about Princess Anne in front of Prince Harry? Her large red feather on top of her hat made me rewrite the words to "Yankee Doodle".Stuck a feather in her cap and called it camo-fla-ge"." Have to work it to make the notes fit! Anyway, I wish I could sit down with those who support the monarchy and those who don't and come to some kind of compromise. There's too much anger and hatred in the world. I want peace. Have a wonderful time in Canada!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the attendants dresses too - but forgot to mention them. It seemed appropriate to have two ladies rather than six as seen in previous coronations. Your Yankee tune made me smile, so clever. I don’t believe it was deliberate, sometimes things just happen. However it would not surprise me if it does become misinterpreted and used in future books etc. yes Queen Letizia of Spain wore the chic pink outfit and hat. I am now looking at the after photos in the throne room - interesting!

      Delete
  4. Trish dear, welcome to these distant shores - just wish I could head up to Canada to have a chat in person! Glad the journey went smoothly, having the layover in Vancouver must have helped with jet lag.
    The Coronation was awesome in every way - I was up early watching from the start and didn't move away from the TV until it was done - loved it all so much, and of course was both homesick and so proud to be British. Pageantry is done the best in the UK always - I think you would agree!
    Enjoy your stay in Ottawa, another great city which we have always enjoyed visiting.
    Thanks for this great post - you look fabulous - and have a wonderful time with your family.
    Hugs, Mary & Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello from up north dear Mary. I am sure you enjoyed the coronation very much: there was so much style and pageantry as well as tradition and history. I am enjoying the after photos too. We are finding the weather a little cool but we will acclimatise quickly. Hugs to you too.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to Canada, Patricia. I am glad to hear that your flights went well. Such a good idea to have a 24 hour layover in Vancouver before continuing on to Ottawa. Gives you time to recuperate a little.
    I watched bits and pieces of the coronation and admired many of the gowns and hats. Princess Catherine and Princess Charlotte's headpieces were a wonderful nod to tradition while being sensitive to modern culture. The UK certainly knows how to put on a show!
    Love seeing you on the "throne"! Enjoy your time in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie. We have overnighted in the Vancouver airport hotel many times and find it very worthwhile. We arrive in Ottawa much fresher to see the family. It is lovely to be here in their neighbourhood, walking and admiring the tulips and Victorian houses of this area. Going to Toronto for the weekend 😍

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your adventures so far. Wishing you a continued lovely family vacation xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, hope to post again soon. 🇨🇦🍁

      Delete