Thursday, August 19, 2021

ROUND AND ROUND THE WORLD/GARDEN

 


Hello dear Readers.

Greetings from the Iris, who are doing a very nice line in heralding Spring at the Red Cardinal garden.



We have been in and out of lockdown and restrictions until my head is spinning.

Or is that the seasonal allergies which come around this time of year?


The world has gone a bit mad - poor Afghanistan, shocking scenes as the frightened population try to get away, while rescue missions struggle to bring out our citizens and those who helped them, who were there lending aid and support.

And Haiti, so sad to have this shocking earthquake and loss of life.  Only recently we watch a repeat of the Joanna Lumley 'Hidden Caribbean' doco where she went to Haiti, a poor and very fascinating country.  Do you enjoy Joanna's travels too?

Travelling has become a distant dream.  I painted a watercolour copy of a Cezanne painting on show in the Met Masterpieces exhibition (see previous post).   I know, very presumptuous of me to paint my own Cezanne!  It is Gardanne, a village in Provence where we had such an enjoyable tour in 2019... Happy memories...

More sad news today, there are wildfires in the forests of this beautiful region in the South of France.



While we were restricted to a 5km radius (last week), we could still visit the local Garden Centre.  These birds were fabulous!  (as was the price...)


They reminded me of a garden sculpture seen in our Blue Mountains Garden Tour back in April this year:


We were so fortunate to have had this holiday and to visit our twin grandsons in Sydney.  Alas we have been unable to see them since, as the Delta Covid has overrun poor Sydney.  Despite best efforts, the daily total climbs (681 today).

It is a big worry to us, as to so many families concerned about and unable to see and visit loved ones.


We bought an olive tree, to fill a sunny, well drained spot in the back garden.

It is near the lemon we planted last year, which is showing enthusiasm again:


I am dreaming of a little produce garden out there...

(We had the regular zoom meeting with the Finance Guru this week - he mentioned the dreaded 'downsizing'..... I think not!)


One of the hanging baskets we are babysitting for our Brisbane son and his wife (they are moving house).  I do not know its name, but it is having the sweetest little white fruits, about the size of a pea.

Thus far, we have kept everything alive.  Their mint and Rosemary are thriving.  All the cactus are still alive and propagating.  Fingers crossed.


Loved this pair of swans at the garden centre.  They are 'spensive too...


Just as well I grabbed my white swan a couple of years back - $12, K Mart.

Should have bought a second one - they usually travel in pairs...


In other Covid news, Brisbane has apparently overturned the recent outbreak, with zero new cases for two days.  Our Premier is urging people to vaccinate immediately, to be ready for the next surge.  With more than half of the remainder of Australia now in lockdown, it is almost inevitable.  However, our borders are now strictly guarded - very few can enter.  My first Pfizer jab is scheduled for next Tuesday.

Over in Canada, children born in 2009 can now have Pfizer.  Our older Canadian grandson has already had his first jab, before commencing High School in September.  I hope Australia is watching this development.  It seems the Delta variant spreads virulently among children as seen in the local area outbreak.


Wherever you are in the world, take care and be safe.  
With love from the Red Cardinal

XXXX
















17 comments:

  1. Covid is rising here in Canada, mainly among the unvaccinated. There are some breakthrough cases in people who have been vaccinated, but symptoms are generally very mild or non-existent. Good for you for getting the vaccine. I had two doses of the Pfizer - some aches and arm pain, but so worth it.
    How pretty your irises and roses are. Gardens and home pursuits are what we do these days so it's good to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interested that you have had Pfizer, which has been in short supply in Australia. I hope I only get those symptoms, similar to my flu shot. We enjoy our home and garden so much these days, they are a tonic in a crazy world!

      Delete
    2. Hi everyone I'm Mrs. ALEKSI TAISIYA, My husband divorced me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have tried have him back but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back. One faithful Friday morning, I visit a forum for tips on how to get your Ex back and there i saw a lady testifying on how Dr.AKHERE helped her to get her husband back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr.AKHERE helped me to bring back my husband after 5days and now my relationship is more perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently does not only bring back someone you love but it will also reunite your lovers feelings. My husband now treats me like a Queen and always says he loves me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship, Doctor AKHERE can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and some other things. I can assure he's highly potent and reliable. Email him for urgent help [AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com ] or +2349057261346 .

      Delete
  2. Hi Trish....beautiful hints of Spring at your place. I love your watercolour! Yes sometimes it certainly feels as if the world has gone completely mad! One does have to try harder to find joy these days. It must be so hard for so many families to be apart. I had my first AZ jab 10 days ago. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, my painting is definitely rustic! We have to work harder now - on our health, and in finding joy and balance. There is a possibility our Sydney boy might bring his family up to Brisbane if they can organise it, quarantine and all. It might be a safer move for them. Glad you had your AZ - am looking forward to my Pfizer. Be safe. xx

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased that you are about to get your first jab, it gives you so much more reassurance once you have had them both. I also had the Pfizer and apparently we are due to get a third - a booster sometime in September.
    I don't worry about getting the virus, it is something that we have all got to live with for possibly years to come. But I am very concerned about so many really awful things happening around the world on a daily basis - I don't want to watch the news, I just want to bury my head in the sand - whatever is happening to our beautiful world.
    I am really very impressed with your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the reassurance of vaccination. There have been reports here about the third booster being used overseas. Australia has a lot of catching up to do. Some days I do not want to see the news either, it is too much to comprehend. We are fortunate to live in a safe part of the world, but constant news exposure makes us all feel quite vulnerable. Thank you for your kind comment on my very rustic painting.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that found your son's plant with the white berries intriguing as it looks remarkably similar to our Mistletoe. I have discovered that you have many, many different Mistletoes in Australia so perhaps that is what it is.
      https://blog.publish.csiro.au/australian-mistletoes/

      Delete
    3. Thank you Rosemary, I had a look at this website, and it does look likely that this one is mistletoe, and another one we are also caring for seemed likely to be mistletoe as well. I must pass this on to the owners.

      Delete
  4. Patricia, so many sad things happening right now in the world. I'm so sorry to hear about the fires in the forests of the South of France. I will say a prayer. There are many fires going at the same time right now in Calif. They have not been contained yet, and I continue to pray. I absolutely LOVE your white swan, it's so elegant and sweet. I'm so glad you bought an olive tree for your backyard area. They are special and always remind me of my Greek heritage.

    Yes, so many bad things happening right now. But this is God's world, and He will take care of it.

    love to you, Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope those California fires stay of away from you Sheri. We have seen some film of it on TV. Thank you from my swan, she likes to feel elegant, as she looks out to the olive tree. Lovely sunny day here today, God's world look beautiful. We must take care. xx

      Delete
  5. So, that painting on the wall- you painted that? Really?
    That is amazingly beautiful!!
    Please tell me I am not losing that mind and that is what you told us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I painted it - but it is a copy! I printed out a photo I took of the original Cezanne, drew a grid over it, then made a larger grid on my paper and just drew in the squares to match. Quick and fun! Then used watercolours to paint it. Glad you like my French impressionist effort :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Trish!
    I'm thrilled to hear you finally get to get vaccinated!! And that some of your area is having zero cases. I pray things continue to improve there.
    You did a brilliant job on that painting! Wow! And there are some wildfires in the northwoods north of me too. It had been so dry here and some lightening ignited it. We have air quality alerts somewhat regularly now. It does feel the world is on fire or in turmoil everywhere, doesn't it? I spend a lot of time in prayer. I hope that our Fall/your Spring is a time of peace. 🙏 Blessings to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, unfortunately the vaccination did not happen. The Government has changed the rules and I am not eligible for the Pfizer and they refused to give it to me. I will start over with my doctor next week. I tell myself God did not want me to have the Pfizer. Fires are scary in a dry Summer, and I hope we get plenty of rain this year which keeps them away. Spring is a short but beautiful time - my King Orchid is just starting to bloom. Photos next week. xo

      Delete
  7. Patricia, I am so sorry you had such a difficult time getting the shot. Thank you for sharing your story, and I do hope that you are able to get it soon. I am still learning about the boosters that might be needed, and one of the vaccines may not require a booster yet. We'll see. Yes, so many strange things happening in our world, and it's friends like you that spread comfort and peace and make the world a better place for all of us.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri. I have been hearing about the booster shots, but Australia is so behind in this race they have not even come to that yet. We will just keep ourselves safe and enjoy the garden!

      Delete