Sunday, March 14, 2021

STARS OF BRISBANE

 


Hello dear readers

After years of dry seasons, we are enjoying a hot, humid Summer with frequent storms.  The roses are loving it, and producing flush after flush of short-lived blooms.

The storms are often violent, and we have had roof damage (now fixed), internal wall damage (have found a man to do that) and a lightning strike which destroyed Mr. Cardinal's computer.  Not a happy event.

All is well, and insurance gave him a new computer and he spent three weeks re-installing his entire electronic life.

The new stove is still waiting to be installed, but fingers crossed, a tentative date has been set.

Queensland Ballet, back in the day

I went with my sister to the 60th Anniversary Gala of our beloved Queensland Ballet.  The programme began with a video tribute about the previous Artistic Directors and former stars of the Ballet, including interviews with many of them.

Happy memories...

We sat two seats behind the wonderful current Artistic Director, Li Cunxin, of Mao's Last Dancer fame (she says, name-dropping).

During his tenure, the Ballet has risen to world-class excellence.

Some highlights of the evening (google images):

Chopin Pas de Deux (Charles Lisner OBE)

Don Quixote - wedding Pas de Deux, Act III
(Marius Petipa)
Carmina Burana - Tavern Scene (Jacqui Carroll)

Cloudland - pas de Deux, (Francois Klaus)

Etudes - (Harald Lander)

It was all tremendously exciting - I could hardly sleep that night...

The company is much bigger these days, with many international dancers and guests artists. 

 Happy claps for Queensland!


To round off the week of International Women's Day, here is a sculpture from the collection of the Qld Art Gallery:


Daphne Mayo, Australia [1895-1982] 'Olympian' c. 1946, cast after 1958

Daphne Mayo was a significant 20th-century Australian artist, born in Sydney and educated in Brisbane, receiving a Diploma in Art Craftsmanship from Brisbane Central Technical College in 1913.  In 1919 she received an art scholarship to go to London provided by Queensland Wattle League.  She was accepted into the Scupture School of the Royal Academy, and on graduation in 1923 she was awarded the school's gold medal for sculpture, and with it a Travelling Studentship to Italy.

She considered the human body 'a superlative piece of sculpture' and 'Olympian' illustrates this view.  There is speculation linking the casting of 'Olympian' with the 1956 Olympic Games held in Melbourne.

Back in Brisbane, Mayo became prominently known for her work, particularly the tympanum of Brisbane City Hall and the Women's War Memorial in ANZAC Square, Brisbane.

These works are seen daily by workers in our City as they go about their business.


Brisbane City Hall

The Tympanum, by Daphne Mayo


Here is Daphne Mayo in 1932 in front of her work, The Anzac War Memorial and Fountain.

Mayo devoted her life to the pursuit of her artistic profession, receiving many public commissions.  With her friend, artist Vida Lahey, she founded the Queensland Art Fund to purchase works for the Queensland Art Gallery.  In the 1960s she became a Trustee of the Gallery.  Daphne Mayo's work is represented in Art Galleries throughout Australia.  She was appointed an MBE in 1959 for services to the arts.  Daphne Mayo passed away in 1982.


Daphne Mayo in her studio.

 Did you know Brisbane is now a preferred venue to host the 2032 Olympic Games?

Have a wonderful week.


XXXX


PS This post has been edited to correct the date for the probably Brisbane Olympic Games. It is of course 2032.  





19 comments:

  1. Patricia, I always love the variety in your posts, but what a pity abut all the storm damage you've received. With every silver lining, there is a cloud, it seems! How I envy you going to the ballet. That must have been wonderful! I would love to go and have promised myself I will as soon as the theatres open again. Daphne Mayo was a hugely talented sculptor, wasn't she? Fabulous work! But now I'm just wondering about that date for the Olympics? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. I do hope you get to the ballet, and many other experiences besides. I have corrected the Olympic date which is of course 2032. Having a Senior moment there after posting a picture of Daphne Mayo taken in 1932.

      Delete
  2. Darling Patricia,

    What a dazzling variety of delights you give your readers here.

    We had never heard of Daphne Mayo and she is certainly an artist worthy of knowing. Such an immensely interesting body of work and her sculptures do seem to have a monumental quality to them. The 'Olympian' seems very fine.

    But, how alarming for you to have had such devastating storms. Thankfully, you seem to have escaped unscathed and the damage now repaired, but it must have been very worrying at the time. We certainly do not envy your husband rearranging computer files.... it certainly would take us some time!

    Well, the 1932 Olympics....now that was a year to remember:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane and Lance, It is lovely to have an artistic week! I think the excitement gave me a Senior Moment and I muddled my dates. Let us hope we are all here for the Brisbane Olympics in 2032!

      Delete
  3. The Brisbane City Hall is a commanding building. Prayers for 1932!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for 2032 too! Hopefully the pandemic will be well behind us, and Brisbane gets the final go-ahead for its first Olympic Games.

      Delete
  4. Dear Patricia - I am presuming that you intended to say the 2032 Olympics, and I dread to think of how old I will be by then, that is if I am still around.
    Love ballet and miss being able to go to live performances, and really enjoyed seeing the wonderful work done by Daphne Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Rosemary, I think as I posted a 1932 picture of Daphne Mayo I became muddled. I dread to think of my age in 2032 as well - I will be lucky if I am around to watch it on television. I am sure you miss the ballet are other live performances - reality is always the best. I love the idea of little Daphne Mayo climbing her scaffolding and working the stone. What a tough woman she was.

      Delete
  5. Oh, your flowers, the ballet, what loveliness! The New City Ballet doesn't even know yet what season it will return. Yet there's hope … our COVID vaccines are starting to roll out. Daphne Mayo was a talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York City Ballet is one of the most famous of all! I do hope they return soon. It is impressive how the vaccines are rolling out over there. The new President must be pleased. He is going well.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have your roses bloom for you with the added rain. I hope the wet dampens the wild fire hazards. What beautiful photos of ballet - such a graceful artistic endeavour. I look forward to the day when theatres and artistic venues can once again open. Alas, the vaccine rollout in Canada is not going very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the ballet was so graceful Lorrie - I really missed the theatre last year. That is bad news about the rollout in Canada - I do worry about my daughter and her family. The rollout is not going all that well here in Australia either - supply seems to be a problem, as well as logistics of a large country with a small population. While there is not much covid around, it is still a worry as it gets out of the quarantine hotels every couple of weeks. Be safe.

      Delete
  7. Hi Trish
    Yikes about the scary weather!! I'm glad everything turned out okay though. I hope that mother nature behaves herself now.
    Thank you for the beautiful culture you share here. I know so little about ballet having only been to the Nutcracker a few times. The artistry looks so beautiful. And so interesting about Daphne Mayo. Her work is amazing! How exciting about the Olympics!! Blessings on the rest of your week. xoxo ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, we are having lots of steady rain, but not storms, this week. Much better. The Nutcracker is a beautiful ballet, and our company performs it every Christmas. I don't go every year, but we do have tickets for late 2021 - it will be lovely. Blessings to you Carrie. xox

      Delete
    2. So happy to hear that the weather has been better! And yes it is beautiful. I have taken Annie several times to our local production. 😊 Chat soon. xo

      Delete
  8. I like that art sculpture, that's really interesting. The ballet sounds wonderful, especially with your sister accompanying you. So sorry to hear about the storm and your husband's computer. And it's good that he was able to get a new one. That white rose is beautiful, Patricia. I love seeing your roses. They are always doing so well. I wanted to plant a rose bush in my front yard, but not sure how it will do in the mountains. Enjoy your Summer days, Patricia. We are still in Winter here. Wow, the Olympic games, that should be exciting!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope you find a way to plant roses - Red Rose Alley is your blog name, after all :) Perhaps you could try one in a pot and move it around to catch the sunshine when you move into Spring. I really like the little white rose too, it has a lot of blooms this week. We are having heavy rains and a bit of floods this week, never a dull moment around here!

      Delete
  9. Oh I adore ballet, truly I do! I am so envious! Sorry about your storm, it sounds scary to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know you would love ballet, Kay. You are very tuned in to the theatrical arts :) We have moved on from storms to flooding rains this week. I think it could be an old-fashioned wet season, lol. Climate change indeed.

      Delete