Friday, February 12, 2021

VALENTINE'S DAY


 This Sunday is Valentine's Day


Bravo to Mr. Red Cardinal, who bought me pale pink roses today, so we can enjoy them all weekend...


Fifty years ago last Saturday, we announced our Engagement to be married, and a small notice appeared in the daily newspaper, as was custom at the time.

My new fiance gave me a beautiful solitaire diamond ring, which looked something like this:

Sadly, I no longer have that ring.
It was stolen when our house was burgled in 1999.
I was absolutely devastated, and was never happy living in that house again.
Eventually we moved across town to our much-loved present house.

An insurance claim paid for a new ring, also a large solitaire diamond in a simpler setting.

I have been wearing the second ring over 20 years, so it has become part of my life too.



Some lovely Royal news, as Princess Eugenie has given birth to a bouncing baby boy, another great-grandchild for Queen Elizabeth.



Eugenie looks like a nice young woman, who has earned her own living after gaining her University degree in English and Art History at Newcastle University, U.K. (which was also my B.A. from the University of Qld.)

Here is Eugenie in a rare outing with her Granny, Her Majesty...
who just happens to be wearing her wattle brooch, gifted by Australia.
Long-term readers know I purchased a replica of it from the Buckingham Palace Gift Shop when we visited London a few years ago.


In other special news, Brisbane looks forward to an exciting exhibition coming in June:
'European Masterpieces from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York'.

Over 70 paintings will journey across the world.  They span 500 years of Art History from the fifteenth to the twentieth centuries.

Brisbane rarely sees works by such iconic names as Titian, Rembrandt, Raphael, Monet, Van Gogh, and many more.

I am really looking forward to both seeing it and working as a tour guide.
What an honour, to see these works in our own city, instead of having to fly to distant countries.
It is the perfect pick-me-up during these dreary Covid times..



May your Valentine brighten your day..

XXXX


17 comments:

  1. Hello Patricia,

    What a beautifully romantic thought to present you with such a delightful bouquet of Roses. Fresh flowers always gladden the heart and these look so pretty.

    And, such exciting news of the art treasures coming to you in June. The costs of travelling exhibitions must be exorbitant these days, so it is wonderful to hear that you will have such fabulous works close to home. Acting a s a tour guide will be a particularly good way to really spend time looking and seeing the art works up close. AS you say, a definitely positive event to look forward to.

    We have to confess that we are no Royalists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to receive roses after 50 years. The exhibition from New York is indeed a wonderful treat for our city, and possible because the Met is undergoing some renovations in that area. We visited this collection over 20 years ago, and I enjoy the memories very much indeed. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Sorry about your ring. It is a life long sadness when things like that happen.
    Congratulations being a tour guide at such a magical exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it was the worst robbery of my life, and there have been a few along the way. An engagement ring is purchased with the view of a lifetime commitment, and here we are still here after 50 years :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day and congratulations on the anniversary of your engagement. It's very sad to have lost your ring in the burglary - makes one feel very vulnerable. The art exhibit sounds wonderful, and acting as a tour guide, you'll be able to indulge to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentine's Day Lorrie. I did feel extremely vulnerable after that home invasion, and could not step out the door at night for quite a while, fearing who might lurk. But thankfully, one heals and moves on. Can't wait for the New York paintings to arrive :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Patrica - what a very thoughtful husband you have, the roses look lovely and I suspect smell divine.
    The 'European Masterpieces from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York' sounds as if it will be a great treat for the citizens of Brisbane to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary, My husband did surprise me, by getting in two days early. Perhaps he has always been a bit that way :)
      What a treat we have in store with the New York paintings; I cannot share those details in public, but they are truly important and wonderful works.

      Delete
  5. Hello Patricia. Gorgeous roses! I would love to have a rose garden but our garden is sited on Brisbane shale and requires a jackhammer to properly plant anything and then there are the possums.... I rest my case!
    What horrible circumstances to have lost your precious ring under. I worry sometimes about my jewellery box. I only have a few precious family pieces but like you would be absolutely devastated to loose them. You must have felt your personal space invaded and soiled. I understand why you moved.
    I am very much looking forward to the exhibition a definite highlight in these dark times. I would love to go to the Melbourne and ACT exhibitions too but .....!
    Your blog is a ray of sunshine as we adjust to another year of Covid. Cheers Patricia! Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindsey, It really was an awful experience losing my ring, and other pieces as well. We had been through earlier burglaries when they took electronics which insurance replaced, but the personal jewellery is very different. Know what you mean re Melbourne/Canberra, so hard to decide to go these days. Another year, it sounds difficult despite the vaccine. Here's to bringing some sunshine in :)

      Delete
  6. Happy Valentine's Day Patricia.
    Lovely roses and a sad story about your engagement ring. We were burgled once many years ago and the burglars stole all my jewelry. I totally empathize. Now you have a newer ring and it is a symbol of your love and life together.
    Enjoy the art show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you also lost all your jewellery in this way. It really does emphasise the importance of these symbols of our commitment, and I am pleased to be still wearing my second ring!

      Delete
  7. Mr. Red Cardinal did very well - the flowers are beautiful. I wish I could pop over in June so that we could see the exhibition together, just the sort of thing I like.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great if you could come over here - alas, no tourists allowed in or out of Australia these days! I might be able to show some of it on the blog, not sure yet.

      Delete
  8. Hello Dear Friend!
    I always love sharing this time with you and all that you share of your life here. So sweet to go down memory lane about you and your forever fellow. The roses are gorgeous! I truly thought I'd found my forever fellow at 16, but alas as you know - it wasn't the case. I keep leaving it up to the Lord that I hope His desire for my life matches mine...which is to have a true forever fellow for the rest of my days. I have faith. 😉 🙏
    Congrats to princess Eugenie! And how exciting about the art exhibition coming this summer (your winter). I can't wait to hear all about it from you then. Have a blessed rest of your week Trish. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Carrie, I hope you are OK in the snow storms we see on TV! I hope you find your forever fellow too, and love that you have faith. So important in these difficult times. It will be great for our city to see international art of such a high standard. We visited the Met in New York in 2002 and it was breathtaking! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I'm late here, Patricia! But how lovely that Valentine's Day has so much meaning for you. Your ring was beautiful, but I'm glad the 'new' one has become part of you too. I love the photo of the clasping hands. That is just too gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete