Monday, February 22, 2021

TEN YEARS A BLOG

 

Beautiful hydrangeas, Christchurch, NZ

Ten years ago this month,  in February 2011, I started the Red Cardinal blog as a way to keep in touch with overseas family and friends.  I had no idea where it would lead, and have loved the many friendships gathered along the way.

What a joy it has been to meet some of you in person, on our travels both overseas and in Australia.


2011 turned out to be a very tumultuous year for the world, as well as for us.


Google image, Christchurch cathedral

In January that year we flew across the Tasman to the beautiful city of Christchurch, in the South Island of New Zealand.

We were on our Summer holiday.

We adored Christchurch, the flowers, the Cathedral in the City Square, the gentle Avon River and the willow trees, and the attractive architecture.



After a pleasant few days, we flew south to Queenstown on Lake Wakatipu.

We settled in to our lodgings, turned on the television, and were deeply shocked to learn that a massive flood had devastated our city back home in Australia.

Brisbane had been inundated by its worst flood in history.


Thousands of people lost their homes and livelihoods as the Brisbane River burst its banks and flooded vast areas, leaving homes and businesses covered in toxic mud as it receded.

We felt so helpless, so far away, and although our house is high on a hill, we did not know until later that it was surrounded by floods and no-one could come in our out of our area for three days.  Power was gone for days, and our neighbours took barbeques out into the street to cook and save the meat in their freezers.

This was the road I drive on most days to go to the shops or the city - nearby building were flooded to their roof-tops.

Ten years on, the scars remain for many people and it took a 'Mud Army' of volunteers to begin to make the city liveable once more.

We continued our holiday which included another five days or so going to Milford Sound, Dunedin, and back to Christchurch to fly home, always wondering what we would see on our return.

February came, and I began this blog.  Some months later I removed many of the early posts, but I do remember that in the first one I included a picture of the Tintoretto painting 'The Risen Christ' at the Queensland Art Gallery.

On this day, the 22nd February, we were to have another shock.

Beautiful Christchurch was struck by a tremendous earthquake, flattening much of the city we had enjoyed just a few weeks before.  Even the hotel where we had stayed was destroyed.  



185 people died in this tragedy, and the world watched in horror.

The cathedral tower came tumbling down, and only now is it being restored.

Christchurch has been rebuilding these past ten years, and I hope one day we can return and see it again.

Costumes for a punt ride on the Avon, Christchurch

March 11, 2011, the world was again shaken when a catastrophic earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster hit the Japanese city of Fukushima.


The death toll of 18,500 was appalling and deeply shocking.

We watched the news in horror...


It was the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in Japan.


I continued tentatively with the new blog...

I was thrilled when my first international follower found me:

Debra Turner of The Savvy Shopper.  We are still friends today - thank you Debbie, and I always enjoy your tales of life and shopping in New York.

2011 limped on, and on 3rd April, we had our own personal disaster one Sunday afternoon.

Driving home after a visit to my father, travelling on a narrow highway in the country, we were suddenly confronted by a vehicle coming at high speed across the centre line and directly towards us.

In the split second before it hit, Mr. Red Cardinal was able to edge the car a little closer to the side of the road, saving our lives.

In that one second I believed I was about to die, and passed out.

After the impact, our car had been spun around and down the embankment beside the road.  The cabin was full of smoke from the airbags, and the radio was still playing.  I thought we had better get out and looked up to see people on the road looking at us, who said the ambulance was on its way.  That is how I realised I had been unconscious for some time.

We had serious injuries and went to Emergency in two separate vehicles.

For many months we were confined to home, and depended on the kindness of many people,  - family, neighbours, friends and strangers.

A proposed trip to Canada in May was cancelled.

But we survived.

The Blog continued...


Late in 2011 I travelled alone to Canada to visit our daughter and her firstborn little boy.  And to experience to wonders of Autumn in a cold climate.

It was beautiful.





We did Halloween..


To end 2011, the Red Cardinals had a small celebration to mark our 40th Wedding Anniversary.

How the years have flown -

The Blog is now 10...

and we are preparing to celebrate our 50th...

We could never have imagined a different kind of catastrophe would envelop us - a global pandemic called Covid-19.

Here's to a brighter year in 2021, as vaccinations commence all over the world.

Be safe and take care

XXXXX

Red Cardinal found in a thrift shop on the 2011 trip to Canada
















29 comments:

  1. Darling Patricia,

    Thank you for this wonderfully poignant review of your early days with the blog. It is incredible that ten years has passed since those first posts and so much has taken place during that time.

    It is always good to reflect on times past and to count the many blessings that have come one's way, alongside the sorrows and disappointments that also make up a full and fruitful life.

    And, what joy you have given to your readers over those ten years. Always looking for the positive and giving strength and comfort in times of need. We have been allowed to share your happinesses and sorrows and for that we are all the richer.

    Enjoy a very happy 50th Anniversary. In these days of 50 minute marriages, that is a celebration indeed. Wishing you both many more years of happiness and joy....keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane and Lance, Thank you so much for your very kind words. I have loved writing my blog all these ten years, and am humbled and delighted that so many dear readers still pop by to comment. We are astonished to know that we have been wed almost 50 years - because we feel just as young at heart as we were in 1971. Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  2. I hope I count as one of your international friends! Reading this made me take a deep breath after each paragraph, all so descriptive and caring. Your accident, so glad you survived that, can't imagine how scary that was for you. I started my blog in 2011 also but mine was in August of that year. Time flies, as you well know. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you count, Kay! I love to know you are there. Happy Anniversary year to you too; you put a lot of work into your fantastic blog. Be safe, take care.

      Delete
  3. Oh and I meant to say happy 50th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so interesting to go back to the year your blog began. And what a year it was. I have very much enjoyed following your posts and have learned a lot while enjoying my visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2011 was certainly unforgettable, Darla. I have loved following your blog too, and knowing about your beautiful corner of the world.

      Delete
  5. With all the devastating events that happened in your life in 2011, a beautiful blog was born. So glad that I am a part of your world, Patricia. And I think that rose is one of the prettiest I've seen in blog land.

    ~Sheri

    *it will be ten years for us too in May. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Happy 50th Anniversary! That is special, indeed. : )

      Delete
    2. Hi Sheri, another blog anniversary for you too! It seems many of us started blogs around the same time. That is a recent pic of our Peace rose, which has enjoyed a little more rain this Summer. Glad you are part of our blog world.

      Delete
  6. Dear Patricia - what an horific year 2011 was, and how different for those, like yourselves, who actually experienced it. We see devastation on the TV news and although one feels sad and upset, life goes on, but that is not the case for those to whom it is happening. However, it is good to remember and recall that life does move forward and that we pick ourselves up again. This we should all try to remember during this last 12 months which has devastated so many lives. I think about those who have lost family members, their jobs and livelihoods.
    I am so pleased that you continued onwards and upwards with your blog and that you are happily still with us and that you will be celebrating 50 years of marriage this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Rosemary, you make a very good point about how we move forward, pick ourselves up, as we did. And as we will as we deal with the pandemic as a world family. We are unable to travel but are relatively safe here, and are so grateful for this. I am leased I have continued with the blog, and enjoy the company of Bloggers very much indeed.

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary! 2011 was indeed a strange and difficult year and very difficult to have your own city the site of a natural disaster. My inlaws were in Christ Church, perhaps in the very hotel you stayed at - they saw the spire come crashing down out of their window. My son in law was in Japan during the earthquake and Tsunami, in both cases they were out of mobile phone contact for quite a while, which was scary being on the other side of the world. They were all okay, and I am glad that you were too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, how absolutely shocking that you inlaws were in Christchurch during that awful quake. And to see the spire come down!! I could hardly believe it, once safely home, that we had been walking in that precinct just 4 weeks before. You must have been so concerned during both episodes - having someone in Japan at the wrong time too! I am so glad that were all safe and that I am here to carry on my little blog, all these years later. Love your blog to bits Jenny - one of the best!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the years of blogging. I don't always comment but I do enjoy reading it. You have certainly had your share of disasters but fortunately you have survived them to share your experiences with your readers. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, so glad you enjoy popping by. It is something of a milestone all round, ten years of blogging and survival of the medical difficulties of 2011/12. It is nice to know you are out there having a read of my Blog.

      Delete
  9. Happy 10th Anniversary to The Red Cardinal! What an honor I have to have been the 1st international reader (but not the last). I cherish our friendship across the miles, Trish, and look forward each week to new posts from my forever Aussie friend and fellow blogger! Certainly one day one of us will step foot on the other's hemisphere for an in-person visit. I enjoy learning about Brisbane and keeping up with the Red Cardinals, as well as, seeing what is happening in the Garden of Neglect. Love the museum, restaurant and trips to Canada.

    You and Mr. C have had more than your share of both natural and man-caused excitement for one lifetime and thankfully have lived to tell! Here's to the next decade of interesting blogs on The Red Cardinal!

    Warm, good wishes and calmer times to the Red Cardinal Clan,

    Debbie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, I think you know us well by now. We have mostly had an interesting and exciting life over the past 50 years, and have had a bit of time for reflection during the pandemic. I love to think of you over in the Big Apple, and wish I had know you back in earlier years when we visited twice. Long live both our blogs! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Happy blog birthday Patricia! What a year 2011 was I hadn’t realised our floods, Christchurch and Fukushima all happened in the same year and for you a terrible accident too. I’m glad you can look back on it without too much trauma but I imagine you would never completely heal.
    We lived in NZ for 4 years in Palmerston North and experienced many earthquakes only one of any magnitude, a 6.5 which sent my little boys and I under the table as you are supposed to do. I remember one as I was cooking dinner and the peas ended up everywhere but in the saucepan!! Christchurch was so terrible and a heartbreaking loss of lives.
    We were watching the news tonight and they showed the exhibition being set up in Canberra we are contemplating a trip but might wait a bit and see how vaccines work out.
    So may I wish you and your husband a very happy 50th and your grandson must be 10 this year? We hit 47 years in June. It’s hard work at times but very satisfying I love being able to spend time together now he’s retired.
    Cheers Patricia! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2011 was quite frightening for us - a tragedy every few weeks! There are residual effects from the car accident, and although I was a passenger on the day I have never driven myself along that stretch of road since. It is amazing how New Zealanders live with earthquakes, and you obviously encountered a few. The Canberra exhibition does look great, doesn't it. I could be tempted but I have already seen these works in London several times so might save our pennies for Sydney trips this year. So good to hear you are another long-term marriage, and also that you love the togetherness of retirement. We still have a part-time business so have not reached that place yet :) Cheers.

      Delete
  11. Oh my word, Patricia, what a year 2011 was for you! You must have thought you were charmed having just avoided two disasters, but then your own disaster struck. I'm amazed at how you pulled yourself back again. What a moving post. But congratulations on your 10 year anniversary as a blogger! I know we've been blogging friends for many of those too and it's been lovely being in touch all this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt like the end of the world for a while there.. but now covid feels a bit the same. At last Australia has made a start on vaccinations this week. It could be 3 months before we get done. I can’t believe I have kept blogging for ten years and am so glad I found you back in the day. I still wish we can go to Rotterdam one day :)

      Delete
  12. 2011 was a year for history making! So many tragedies, ending with a very personal one. So glad that you both survived the crash.
    I am new to your blog, and enjoy reading about life in Australia. Congratulations on your 50th wedding anniversary. The years do pass by so quickly. We will celebrate 44 this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie. 2011 was a dramatic year for us, and I tend to divide my concept of my life as pre- or post- that year. The accident really had a profound effect. I am glad you enjoy the blog, as I enjoy yours too. Love that you live in Canada which has a special place in my heart too. 44 years is good - may you continue in happiness and reach the golden 50!

      Delete