Friday, January 22, 2021

THE COLOUR PURPLE

 


In 1998, we ventured off on our first big overseas trip...

to meet up with our travelling daughter in New York, visit New England, Pennsylvania, and then on to Washington DC.

We played tourist outside the White House, and loved the Smithsonian museums.

I must have done my homework, because I contrived to find our way to the National Museum of American History, and The First Ladies inauguration gowns exhibition.  As a lover of both history and fashion, I enjoyed this immensely.

(Google image) Inauguration Ball gowns: Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush

Cameras were forbidden back in the pre-iPhone camera days, alas...

I know I saw every First Lady's Inauguration Ball gown from Mamie Eisenhower (above left) through to Hillary Clinton (currently First Lady when we visited)

Always an avid Jackie fan, I loved seeing her exquisite cream gown with chiffon overlay, so chic and understated...


Leaving politics aside, it was interesting to see the fashions worn at this week's Inauguration of President Joe Biden - and to see that fashion and politics are never far apart...

I thought Dr Jill Biden's Ocean Blue coat was beautiful in cut and detail, and the matching blue leather gloves added an elegant touch..

Vice-President Kamala Harris wore a plain and stylish purple dress and coat....

I found out later that purple is now a Bipartisan colour: red and blue combined.



Former First Ladies Hillary Clinton in Violet, and Michelle Obama in Plum..

I was thinking it was disappointing that Dr Biden could not have a fabulous Ball Gown, as this year the Balls were cancelled.  


Here are the Bidens at the second Obama Inauguration..

However, today I find that Dr Biden did indeed have a special evening outfit, when the First Family attended the concert at the Lincoln Memorial:



This lovely dress and coat, by New York designed Gabriela  Hearst featured the embroidered floral emblems of all the States of America..


As an Australian, I only happen to recognise one of them, the Texas bluebonnet, to which I was introduced by our friends when we visited Texas the following year... in fact, I still have a piece of quilting fabric featuring them in my stash.

Quilters will understand...

The matching mask, a sign of the times, and really very pretty as well.

In a Bipartisan spirit, here are a few more purple flowers found in our Garden of Neglect this afternoon..


Have a good, and relaxed weekend, and here's to a safer year in 2021.

XXXX



PS - haven't times changed?

















13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, how times have changed! I lived in D.C. 1962-1964 so was able to visit a lot of wonderful museums and galleries - The Smithsonian always my favorite!
    That last b/w photo is certainly one for the history books.
    Enjoy the weekend dear.
    Mary -


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an exciting time to be in D.C. Mary, and also a sad time with the assassination in 1963. I loved the Smithsonian - so many good things to see!
      I was surprised to see all the men in top hats for the 1960 inauguration. So informal now, and no hats on the ladies either. Happy weekend.

      Delete
  2. Patricia, I'm glad you shared a bit of this because I didn't get a chance to see it on tv yet. My cable is not set up, only my computer. Purple is my favorite color! It's always been a beautiful and mysterious color to me. Love Kamala's Purple coat, so stylish. And the First Lady looks elegant in her white coat. I used to have a white coat, but left it behind in the move, and I want to get a new one. White is such a lovely color in fashion. Isn't that black and white photo at the end something else? I love that you share fashion on your posts sometimes, Patricia. I really miss looking at it, and with moving and unpacking, I sure needed a break to catch up on delightful blogs.


    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Sheri, it always takes time to set up computers, doesn't it. Our house was struck by lightning last weekend while we were out, and our business computer plus its backup were 'fried'. Guess we will be starting over with a new one... Glad you enjoyed the photos, and the white coat was a star. No doubt it will appear in the Smithsonian some time soon. Loved the B/W photo, in the snow, and Jackie's little fur muff, so sweet. Have a nice weekend Sheri.

      Delete
  3. The inaugural fashions this year were beautifully designed. I do miss seeing the gowns, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the gowns too, it really gives the ladies a chance to play Cinderella on the night. Maybe next time?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lovely photos of fashion and politics. I think Jackie K. was so beautiful and always looked glamorous. It will be interesting to see what fashions Dr. Biden wears in the future, but I will not compare her to Mrs Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no, I am not going there either!
      Jackie K brought a new fresh approach which is admired to this day, so beautiful. I hope we see a bit of Dr. Biden - I read that she will continue her teaching career, good for her.

      Delete
  5. What a fascinating post Patricia especially Dr Biden’s evening dress ... sadly the symbolism will probably be lost in the airwaves. The last picture made me gasp when I enlarged it and saw who it was. Top hats!! It made me fleetingly feel old!! Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope Dr Biden's dress makes it into the Smithsonian - it is part of history. I thought that was a great photo, showing the Presidential walk, the snow, the top hats and the fur muff! Makes me feel old too, remembering how exciting it seemed at the time :)

      Delete
  6. Ah, Patricia, times may have changed but elegance hasn’t. These are lovely photos of the stylish clothes of first ladies past and present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed finding them and putting it together Val. The men in their top hats look elegant too, if dated, but Jackie's coat would look just as good today. Her style has endured. I'm looking forward to seeing what Dr Biden wears on future special occasions.

      Delete
  7. How happy it makes me to read this post! Looking at the photos from the Inauguration, I was directed to the Smithsonian website showing the First Ladies' dresses. It said it is one of their most popular exhibits! Only thing, I don't think it shows the First Lady from Georgia, Rosalynn Carter. Look it up! I was struck by how much it reminded me of Dr. Biden's dress! I remember there was much criticism of all that she wore...one dress had been worn before, others said she dressed in a plain fashion...blah, blah. Thing is, she is a lovely woman with a very fine style. Look her up, see if you don't agree! Also, she and Jimmy Carter have worked so very hard for others, you will see that too. xx

    ReplyDelete