Monday, January 18, 2021

SUMMER DAYS

This is the view from my computer/guest room. Yes, those bare trunks are Palm trees, whose fronds wave above the rooftop.


And this is the other side of the house, looking from the dining room.

It has been sunny and warm, perhaps a little too warm last week, and it is looking like our State's measures to combat the new Covid19 strain are working.

There were about 6 cases connected to the original case, but no community transmission now for 14 days.  We are all wearing masks - to be honest it is still something of a novelty hereabouts...

If all goes well, on Friday we will be back to arrangements as we were for the past six months, which is OK compared to what most of the world is enduring.

From my sewing room:


A tree fern attempts to look in the window...

  
and a solitary agapanthus, surrounded by more low-light plants.

I made some masks to go with the few new Summer dresses I have made:


At the local garden centre, trying to blend in with the bromeliads...


Bought a pink geranium, some Summer colour and lots of parsley.
It is hard to keep the plants going in 35c. heat ...






Yellow Rose has finally decided to bloom again - we had nearly given up.
Which is just as well, because I looked at the 2021 Pantone Colour/s of the year, and, Tadah:  Yellow...with grey...


Remember when there was only one Colour of the Year?
Those were simple times.

I think I will wheel out my old bright yellow linen dress for an excursion next week.  Perhaps a matching mask is called for??


A friend gave me this Crucifix Orchid, and we have propagated it in a few places.
Its cheery yellow is right on trend...



In other trivia, why can I not find a prettier bottle of hand sanitiser?
The bottles are all very sturdy and plain, and I like to encourage visitors to use it on arrival.  

The new dishwasher has been installed, and I have to commend the tradesman who delivered it for his careful attention to the detail of avoiding any unnecessary touching of surfaces in our home.  Well done.



I have just read 'Lioness' by Sue Brierley.
Sue is the adoptive mother of Saroo Brierley, the little lost boy from a village in India  who became famous a few years ago as an adult, when with the help of Google Earth he relocated his home village.
His book 'A Long way Home' was an international best seller, quickly followed by the major movie LION.

Sue's story is the very interesting postscript to Saroo's story, from her traumatic childhood and early marriage, to her decision to adopt two needy children from India.  Sue was portrayed in the movie by Nicole Kidman, another adoptive mother.  I did not want this book to end!

What are you reading in the holiday season?


Did I mention it is our Golden Wedding Anniversary later this year?

Stay well and keep safe

XXXXX


Our Bee Hotel has a few tenants - so cute to watch

























23 comments:

  1. That mask and summer dress combo is awesome. I gave my son-in-law a bee hotel for Christmas. It is usually very difficult to choose a gift for him, but not this time, both he and I were delighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - when that fabric appeared before me, I knew I could not leave the shop without it :)
      Bee hotels are fun - Hi from our bees to your family's!

      Delete
  2. You look very chic amomgst the Broms in matching mask! Very nice purchases....the humidy and heat does take a toll on our gardens. Love your bee hotel and glad they have taken up residence xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, it was fun to notice I matched the broms. We are trying a few different flowers near the hotel to get more customers 🐝🐝💕

      Delete
  3. It is lovely to see your sunshine along with all of the flowers - our snowdrops are now open in the garden and the daffodils are poking their heads out once again.
    I didn't know what the Pantone colours this year were but I love both yellow and grey, especially together. I fancy having my sofa covered in a soft yellow velvet, a colour that I would never have even considered using a few years ago, but yellow is such a happy colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, daffodils, in all their yellow loveliness, welcoming Spring. I love to see fields of them, but alas, never in Queensland. Your sofa idea sounds gorgeous, so elegant as well as happy. Perfect in front of a warm fireplace.

      Delete
  4. Love this post Trish! So bright and sunny and cheerful. And you are so adorable!! Love the matching masks. I wish I were that crafty! Love the bright yellow and I think a mask like that sounds in perfect order. Lol What a blessing that your area has not been as badly affected. I pray it stays that way and you do go back to not having to worry! 🙏 The flower pics just fill my soul as I'm still under many inches of snow. Blessings on your upcoming golden anniversary. That is awesome!! Have a great week ahead dear Friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has been sunny around here, Carrie. Sometimes it is a relief to have a dull day to rest our eyes! Australia has made the most of being an island, a long way from anywhere! The rules are strict, and people complain, but it has paid off in a very low covid rate. Hope you have a chance to go build a snowman with your kids :) xxx

      Delete
  5. I love your photo among the bromeliads, such nice bright colours and matching mask! We have been wearing masks here too, but I don't like wearing them, a bit too restrictive and hot but it's what we do to keep us all safe. Your bee house looks lovely and I am sure the bees will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun making a few matching masks, and I am looking for a chance for a couple more fun photos. Like you, I don't like wearing them in the heat, but one must do what is necessary. Those bee houses are the cutest, especially when the tiny native bees start to take an interest!

      Delete
  6. Hello Patricia. I welcomed the rain on Monday night our garden lapped it up. We are the proud owners of a stingless bee hive. We were gifted it by friends who have about 7 hives. We babysat the hives whilst they moved. I was worried they might decamp whilst in our care so peered in every day to make sure!! I do like both your dress and matching mask and the broms really set you off ... very chic! I’m thinking that the garden centre is the Brookfield one. A gorgeous place that we must return to. I’m amazed you manage to keep both geraniums and parsley from marauding possums my veg look like Fort Knox! Geraniums are hung high! Keep safe. Looking forward very much to some cultural expeditions this year. Hope your family is well. Cheers. Lindsey Back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindsey, Wasn't the rain lovely, and much appreciated by the plants. How exciting to have a proper bee hive, with bees. We love both of the garden centres at Brookfield, which are very popular. Often, you cannot even get a car park. I think during Covid people are doing a lot more gardening, so the garden centres must be one business which is making a lot more $$$$ We do have possums here, and sometimes one comes in a demolishes the parsley. That is why I bought a number of plants to spread the risk. I grow it on the high deck which is near the kitchen and I think they find plenty to eat on the ground level below so do not both me too much. On the other hand, the cockatoos love the high deck as they can fly in and land like an aeroplane - they like to destroy plants for fun and I have a lot of kitsch owls and other big eyed birds strategically placed which puts them off for some reason. Perhaps they do not like being watched in their naughtiness, he he. Cheers

      Delete
  7. Hahaha I must look out for some bug eyed ceramics .... maybe a pair of large eyes .... mmmmmm now I'm thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so lovely to see brightly coloured flowers and sunshine in your photos. The yellow dress looks cool and pretty. Congratulations on your approaching golden wedding anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is bright and shiny here, and it accentuates the yellow flowers. Our anniversary is late in the year, fingers crossed the pandemic has eased so we can celebrate. 💛💝💛

      Delete
  9. Oh, what a cheerful dress, now with matching mask! Be grateful that mask-wearing is a novelty, I am feeling that it will be a fairly constant item of clothing for a long time to come. The foliage seen from your windows is delightful, I especially like the photo taken from your dining room.
    Seemingly endless rain here in Blighty, but having just watched the new American president on t.v. nothing can dampen my spirit!
    No yellow to be seen in my garden yet, but the daffodils are starting to break through the soil and grass with a promise of cheerful colour to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, the masks will be around for a long time. I plan to make a matching one each time I sew something. Thank you re the garden: everyone like that view, especially when the orchids bloom. I have watched a few snippets from the US on morning TV, and yes, high hopes for the future. Daffodils are brilliant, please share photos :)

      Delete
  10. Oh Patricia, I wish mask wearing was a novelty here. I feel as if we've been wearing masks forever and there's no sign of it ending. Anyway, I love your dress and matching mask. That's very pretty! I have a feeling things will be better in the summer again here if it's true that vitamin D is the deterrent it's supposed to be. But then let's hope things just get back to normal everywhere. I'd love to read Lioness. I've read and love Lion. A phenomenal story. Thank you for all these lovely photos of flowers and sunshine, Patricia. I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, those masks are hard to wear in our humidity. Thank goodness they are relaxing the rule again tomorrow. Making one to match is fun - I will do a few more. I have wondered re the Vitamin D, and if it is helping us 'dodge the bullet' of covid in Queensland. The science is still out on this, I think. I found Lioness on Kindle - I hope you can read it, if you loved Lion. It is not a repeat of the same story, but reveals more. Sending flowers and sunshine to you (and daffodils).

      Delete
  11. You look awesome in that colorful dress Trish, and your hair so beautiful! I'm still looking at a little color on the ends of my 'silver' but a couple more trims and they should be history!
    Your garden with such tropical greenery is lovely, and tree ferns always amaze me - the ones I saw inland from the Gold Coast around my friends' country home where I stayed were stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look lovely in this photo, Patricia, and your dress seems to match all the tropical plants behind you. Your yellow and pink roses are so pretty in your garden. I can see why Yellow was the Color of the Year. It's so pretty and cheerful and fun!

    Have a pleasant weekend, dear Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone gave me a new hotel but I didn't put it out because I think the squirrels would destroy it. They are rats with hands! Wish the USA could boast of low Covid rates, it's terribly high here. You look so pretty in your coral dress blending in with the Bromeliads! Talking of color, did you hear of that new blue color that was discovered? Wow! Take care!

    ReplyDelete