Tuesday, April 28, 2020

ISOLATION MUSING




Little Aussie: Portrait of Grannie 


Week 5 of isolation, and I am looking increasingly like my portrait, as painted by Little Aussie in a capricious mood a year or two ago....

My hair is getting longer, and the silver tone has some resemblance to the blue hair in my portrait.

Don't think I have grown horns yet, but you never know....

Red eyes, green lippy - anything goes in these strange times.


With most unfortunate timing, our stove top (at least 20 years old) decided to die dramatically a day before our daughter arrived in March.
Just as Covid 19 hit Australia.

In haste we purchased this funny little number from K Mart, a single burner Induction cooker of  very limited sensitivity.  Its temperature goes up or down in leaps of 20 deg, which makes fine-tuning your delicate egg cooking close to impossible.  There have been a few burnt offerings.

We got by during our family visit with the funny pot, an electric frypan, and the oven.

We are certainly longing for the day we can choose a new stove, and probably new benchtops and splash back at the same time.    At the moment, we cannot go out for non-essential business, and we do not let anyone into the house, on Government recommendations.

So no tradesman to have a look and give a quote.

But it is something to look forward to when the day comes....


Thea Proctor, Australia 1879-1966: Summer 1930, hand coloured on Oriental paper. QAGOMA

I am slow-sewing my way through isolation, with a target of one garment per week, reducing my fabric stash in the process.  As we are self-isolating, the rule was to find everything needed in the sewing room.  No new purchases online.

Week 1:


Simple rayon tunic top with dragonflies.  Very comfortable home-wear...

Week 2:


'Canada Geese' rayon shirt.  This was intended to be made for our last trip to Canada and time overtook me.  I love it for the coming cool weather...

Week 3:


Vintage 50s fabric bath robe...

Week 4:


Vintage 50s cotton voile shirt, with puff sleeves.
White buttons, non-matching, from my button stash.

Week 5 is still a work in progress.
I will update in a few more weeks.



Cute little Prince Louis of Cambridge celebrated his second birthday with a bit of finger painting.  Did anyone else wonder how he kept his shirt so clean?

What a sweet little boy.



I made some blueberry muffins today, just in case we starve..

Have also been to the dentist, following lifting of some restrictions on dentistry.

Unfortunately, I have to have crowns on two errant teeth.

Fortunately, I can delay it for quite some time as dentists are not permitted to do crowns at the moment.

There is always a silver lining, even in our current difficulties.

The dentist says he has been enjoying his time off, getting things done at home.
I feel the same, am quite enjoying the down time, and will be happy for it to last a few weeks more.

This weekend, we are permitted to drive for pleasure up to 50km from home.
We can have a picnic and walk in a different park.

Along with probably hundreds of others, but we have a little plan.



Take care

XXXX







21 comments:

  1. Well done on your garments! I wish I could sew again but I've lost the skill, eyesight and patience. It's such a useful thing to know how to do. My kids are both in braces so we are very much hoping dentists are allowed to work again soon. Your stove had bad timing (these things always do). It will be fun planning what you want, though. So many choices. Stay safe! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Jen, the eyesight is the thing that trips me up with the sewing. I can't do the things I used to, and threading the needle can be fraught! Braces bring back memories - our son played horn in a marching band, and looked so cute with his braces, which didn't stop him at all :) xx

      Delete
  2. I love that portrait! Your sewing skills are amazing! Lovely garments!
    Bad timing on the stovetop malfunction but at least you found a quick fix.
    I am supposed to have regular dental cleaning appointments and mine have been postponed too..have fun sewing!
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have always enjoyed sewing. Loved to make elegant Vogue patterns back in my young working days. Clothing is much more casual these days. The professionals will be so busy when all restrictions are lifted - what a backlog they will have! Be safe.

      Delete
  3. Old fashioned electric frying pans saw us through many years, and my mother likewise. Until microwaves came along, they were in daily use. Yes, I hardly dare imagine the lockdown being really over, and it will be incredibly exciting I think. Glad you like the yellow stripe number, I am very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering how people are managing when gadgets go wrong or break down at the moment, and I suppose there is no alternative but to manage as best as you can with what you have.
    I have just found a small water leak in the airing cupboard and a door handle has come off, but both are non urgent and can wait until help can be found. However, normally I would be phoning around desperately trying to get someone to fix them for me.
    That is the first photo I had seen of Prince Louis since he was a baby and I think that he looks very similar to his sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like the way people lived during the Depression, according to the anecdotes my parents told. I find myself making do in lots of little ways, and using up odds and ends in the process. I suppose if it was a plumbing emergency, there would be no choice but to call for help. Prince Louis has been kept out of the public eye, hasn't he, and yes I agree, you can see the family resemblance.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Trish, I can relate! One of the 2 heaters in my apartment stopped working overnight. It was working when I went to bed, the next day my apartment was oddly cold and damp for hours before I thought to put my hand on the heater to find it was not working. Luckily I have 2 heater - large and smaller in the apartment. The smaller one I always leave off, but now have turned on. Our handyman retired about a year ago, and our board decided not to hire a replacement. So I haven't reported it because I have no idea who to expect in my apartment during our pandemic as all outside vendors are closed. I'd prefer building employees who are not proficient in heaters also not to come into my apartment during pandemic time. I'll wait until our Shelter in Place is lifted to a safer state of existence. Luckily I had 2nd of necessities because one of my phones also has an issue, the zero stopped working, and lots of telephone numbers require a zero. The phone came with 2 headsets, so I can dial zeros on the 2nd one. I'd ran out and buy a new phone in ordinary times.

    I think your stove breaking beats my problems, since I have "spares."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that is serious re the heater. It can get cold in New York! We can always manage here without heating as long as we rug up. I'm with you about having people coming in - don't do it if you can possibly avoid it. We are settled into a new simple routine with the cooking, and simply do not attempt anything not within our capabilities. Which is good for the waistlines, as we are not getting nearly enough exercise due to the restrictions. We have all learnt to be cautious, haven't we?

      Delete
  7. Hi Trish!
    Your portrait gave me a giggle. My eyes have been red like that due to allergies some days. Lol
    What a pain about the stove top. Ugh! I hope you can get it resolved soon as well. And you are an amazing seamstress! I am highly impressed Lady! Love all the tops - and that robe is adorable!!
    That little Louis looks like his mum in my opinion. What a cutie! Enjoy a wonderful drive and picnic at the park. That will feel like a treat. ❤️ Stay healthy and safe. šŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, my eyes get a bit like that with allergies too! At least I still have the oven, so we can indulge in a bit of baking during isolation. In fact, I have to limit myself to one baked item per week, or our jeans will get too tight, lol. Thank you re the sewing, I have been doing it a long time. Mum had a needle in my hand before I went to school. Be safe dear Carrie. xx

      Delete
  8. I'm so impressed with your beautiful sewing, Patricia. How I'd love to have the skill to make such beautiful and professionally sewn clothes. It looks as if you're making the most of your lockdown time, but I'm very sorry about your cooking plate. That's not convenient at all. I hope you manage to get your cooker replaced soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val, you are so kind. I never had sewing lessons, was just lucky my mother could teach me as I was growing up. After that I just follow the instructions in the patterns :) I bought another induction cooker saucepan, and am coping better now, just swap them about as needed. We will need to replace either the entire kitchen or a significant part of it so it will be a bit project later on. Happy springtime to you Val.

      Delete
  9. Hi Patricia it's so good reading your lovely posts again and it's so nice to be blogging again,I have missed my blogging friends. I love the new clothes you have made and your shirts look fantastic ,you are very clever my friend,lol I love little Aussies drawing of you,glad you haven't grown horns yet lol,I am following you and hope you will follow me too. Your muffins look yummy. Stay safe and take care my friend,cheers Shez xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shez and what a surprise to see your new blog. White Rose is a lovely name, and I know you grow them. Thank you for your kind comments, I have been sewing forever, just like you. Be safe. xx

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Yes it is Amalia, I will keep it forever xx

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little Aussie's painting of grandma is so sweet. You've been sewing many nice outfits lately. I like the vintage pink bath robe. That photo of Prince Louis finger painting is priceless. How cute is that? Your blueberry muffins look so Yummy. I haven't had them in awhile. A picnic and a walk sounds wonderful right now. I have been longing for nature, but with the move I just had, I have not been able to visit the loveliness of nature. I hope to soon.

    Happy May days to you, Patricia, and stay well.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, I am still sewing, but also been busy on art gallery training, for when the gallery re-opens. We had another picnic last weekend, and it was fun, beside the sea. Our government is beginning to ease restrictions but we must be very careful. I hope you get out soon too and explore your new area. Take care and be safe.

      Delete