Tuesday, April 17, 2018

OUT AND ABOUT




Greetings from the Red Cardinal nest..

After five days, the lorikeets forgave us for installing a new bird feeder,  suddenly landed and began to eat.


Mr C subsequently bought some chain and repaired the old feeder.
We now have two feeding stations, one for cockatoos and one for lorikeets.

Actually, no, that is untrue, they still like to stage a territorial fight.
I think they enjoy it....


The Commonwealth Games have been held at the Gold Coast.
Little Aussie went to a few events with his family, and enjoyed it hugely.
I bought him some new pencils and drawing books which feature the blue koala mascot, Borobi.  Aussie has been here for nearly a week of the school holidays.


 Interior of his box construction: the pilot's cabin of an aeroplane.
He painted the windscreen, with blue skies and three mountain peaks right ahead.  Hope he didn't crash into those...


The heat returned, so swimming was on the agenda..


The first fairy-tale I remember from childhood was Beatrix Potter's 'Peter Rabbit', so when the movie came to town, I asked Aussie to take me.
We loved seeing all the characters coming to life, and there were plenty of sly jokes for grown-ups to keep us all entertained.



It's been years, but we Cardinals went to a Formal Ball.
No longer possessing a ball gown, I found a long black caftan, dressed it with a string of giant pearls, and a bit of sparkle.
It is possible the caftan will have a trip to Europe some time soon..


And then it was time for our next Queensland Symphony concert -
Ginastera Concerto and then a Brahms Symphony, but first the alluring 'Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun'...

The faun, a mythological half human-half goat creature from Roman mythology.
And speaking of hybrid creatures, there are many of them to be found in 'Curious Affection', the current exhibition at GoMA:

Artist Patricia Piccinini creates her own beings, posing questions about genetic engineering.  The New York Times describes her creations as 'sculptures of life forms that don't exist'.

'The Stags' 2008 QAG
Two Vespa style male/stags.  What if new machines grew animal instincts?
What if artificial intelligence might find a way to imitate organic reproduction, growth and development?

'The Struggle' 2017
Piccinini studied Art History, and has a keen interest in referencing historical works.  'The Struggle' is based on the work of 18th century Romantic painter George Stubbs, famous for a cycle of paintings of Lions attacking horses.
Here the lion is a yellow Vespa, attacking one of the deers.


There are lots of children and birds...


Birds who lay eggs, and children and babies who are the beginning of life...


An eerie realm of hybrid flowers in 'The Field', peopled by Piccinini's creatures.
She fuses a flower form with the Venus of Willendorf, a famous female figurine from around 28,000 BC, along with ducks and reptiles.  
With accompanying sound waves, and an unbalanced floor, to take you to another world....


Whatever happened to Spring in the Northern Hemisphere?
Instead of April showers, DD in Ottawa is hunkered down while an ice storm rages outside, school buses are cancelled, and snow is predicted.
I hope the Spring flowers will be OK....


And that your week is going well, and you are warm, dry, or cool, according to latitude...

XXXXX


18 comments:

  1. Oh we totally loved the Petter Rabbit film...all three of the grandchildren went with us and there was something for every age group! All of them wanted to adopt a bunny rabbit after the credits had rolled by...!!
    They have a kitten so we mentioned that they might not get along so well.
    Ottawa is getting a blast of cold and ice...we have a sunny morning here but the temps are lower than the usual seasonal averages.
    Enjoy your week Patricia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a bunny too! Lovely to think of you going with all three grandchildren - precious memories. Strangely cold for Spring over there, but enjoy your sunny mornings and the wonderful walking opportunities you have.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely way to spend your week, Trish. We returned to cold (and wet) winter.🙁 Enjoy seeing your sunny days and the colors of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, it sure seems very wintry over there. Did you know we are exact antipodean opposites to New York here in Brisbane? I discovered this yesterday - so hi through the globe to the other side!

      Delete
    2. No I didn’t know, but am fascinated! Hello right back, other side.🙃🌎🌃

      Delete
  3. I took my 2 grandies, 5yrs & 6yrs of age & we 3 thoroughly enjoyed it. Must admit I did groan when first told they wanted to go, but I'm so pleased I went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone enjoys Peter Rabbit! Glad you enjoyed it with little ones - it really is fun. Lots of kids enjoying Piccinini too, which surprised me but today's kids are into everything :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Trish ,looks like a lovely movie you and Aussie went to see i used to do that with my grandies too,lots of fun. Lovely post my friend ,hope you had a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you will have to borrow a small child and go to see Peter Rabbit - it is a delight, and gives us lots of smiles. Tip: The Rooster is so funny.
      Glad you enjoyed my post, Cheers. xx

      Delete
  5. What a lot going on at your place. Glad to see you got some time with your grandson, such fun you must have had. I looked (and looked again) at the art exhibit photos and information. I think it might be disturbing in person. But then that is part of the purpose of art isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy times indeed Darla, and we love having our grandson here for a few days.
      Re the art, you are 'spot on' as we say hereabouts. On first sighting I found it quite disturbing and wondered how I could tour it for the public, but as with anything, a bit of repeated exposure took care of me. Yes, of course the idea is to provoke and make people think about the issues. It has been really interesting to see that children seem to be fine with it all, and there is an accompanying activity for them in the Children's Art Centre.

      Delete
  6. How lovely that Aussie had the opportunity to attend the Commonwealth Games.
    To use a long black caftan was a great idea and I am sure that you looked stunning in it. It sounds as if your proposed visit is edging nearer now, and I am pleased to report that this corner of the northern hemisphere has just enjoyed a glourious, warm, sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it was lovely for Aussie, as he is old enough now to remember it, probably for life. He seemed really excited and actually went three times.
      Yes, our visit is edging closer, after a lull once the arrangements had been set in place. Time for me to start working on personal details like what to take and how much it all weighs. So pleased you have a sunny day, and I expect lots of Springtime flowers to enjoy.

      Delete
  7. We are in the middle of a thunderstorm here, so if I suddenly go, you will know why. Oh, Trish, how I envy you all the wonderful cultural events that you can attend. I am afraid living in a regional town does not feed my spiritual needs in this department at all. As for your ball gown, I think this was a very elegant solution! How nice to have Aussie with you for a week, and what a wonderful week he had. Looks like I made it without losing power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your thunderstorm is on its way up here now. Forecast for tomorrow. I know how much you would love to be nearer events like the State Orchestra - QSO tours Qld now and then, will have to send them down to you. The Ball gown worked out well, as there was no way I could stitch up my own creation in the few days notice we had :)

      Delete
  8. A lovely post, Patricia. Your life is wonderfully rich. I’m glad the birds are happy and Aussie had such fun at the games. A black kaftan sounds so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. Yes, I am blessed these days with a bit of culture in our lives. Long may it continue!
      I am glad black is one of my good colours - so handy at night. Have an enjoyable weekend.

      Delete
  9. Good one! I am also eager to see the movie. Let me give a try. Kids need to be engaged in their holidays so that they don't get bored:)

    ReplyDelete