Monday, August 21, 2017

SPRING IN THE ASCENDANCY




If I don't say Happy August soon, it will be September!
So Happy August everyone, and I hope you have all been well during my absence.  






Spring is in the air hereabouts, with two crazy Summer days last week -
A 34C maximum - quite unfair I think.
We only get about 12 weeks of Winter here, and some of us enjoy dressing up in our merino and cashmere, not to mention nice warm dresses, coats, and jeans (which are too hot to wear for months on end during Summer)




Sanity has prevailed, and we are back to cool weather and cold morning minimums around 1degC, with a touch of frost on the car.




At our local Florist shop - aren't the colours gorgeous?

We have been feeling a bit flat, what with the latest flu virus doing the rounds and a few other medical issues in the house.


Cheer-up visit from our grandpuppy Harley Quinn.
She is a mad funny happy dog..


The arrival of our first and only annual daffodil in the back garden.
We score points for effort in the tropics.


Can you see the beginnings of five fronds of gorgeous King orchids?
This has grown from a piece of my father's enormous orchid which we divided among the family when he went into permanent care in 2012.
Urban garden legend has it that a transplanted one of these will have one frond the first year, and an additional one every subsequent year.
And so it has proved to be - right on cue, we are up to five beautiful creamy fronds this year, and I can't wait for them to burst out.


Here's a look at Year 2


Lorikeet love..


Brotherly love (by a Canadian river)

The little Canadian grandsons have enjoyed the holiday break, including lots of Summer treats - don't you like the Quebec way of sizing icecream?


Who loves vintage linen - this piece speaks to me of Springtime..

Mr Cardinal is continuing to recover after his total knee replacement.
It takes a long time - and he has been diligent with the daily stretching and flexing exercises, with good results, but is now working on regaining his stamina.


Another milestone, as he felt able to come for a short visit to GoMA to see the Marvel Universe exhibition for himself.  It has been a huge hit with Brisbane crowds.



I have enjoyed guiding some fun tours of this unusual show - although I still struggle to name all the characters and discuss their particular attributes!


Have a great week,
Happy August!

XXXX






20 comments:

  1. Happy August! Lovely to catch up on your news. Hope that the beautiful orchid flowers soon, that you are recovered from flu and that Mr Cardinal keeps going well! Enjoy spring and all that it brings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Amy, I am grateful for a little Spring cheer right now. Here's to Mr King Orchid!

      Delete
  2. What amazing orchids. It is nice to know the plant is from your Father's garden. Sweet reminder. Hope your DH continues to mend well. Enjoy your spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very dramatic orchids when in bloom, and yes a sweet reminder. I compare notes with my siblings at this time of year, see if everyone's are blooming too.

      Delete
  3. Here in the desert, I have just one daffodil that comes up every spring. I think we're just not meant for daffodils, we need that cool, wet climate of the eastern US, or maybe Europe. I just watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie a few weeks ago and saw that tree guy in it. I don't remember what he was called, but I enjoyed the way they animated him. I hope you and your DH are feeling better soon, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twins! The one daffodil girls :) I don't think we are meant for daffodils here either, which just makes the challenge more fun. Noone else in our neighbourhood grows them. The tree guy is Groot, and is a real crowd pleaser, people line up to be photographed with him all day long. Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of the brothers in Canada, and what a lovely King Orchid which much hold so many memories for you of your father.
    Glad Mr.C is making good progress ready for your trip later in the year.
    I don't have a clue about the Marvel Universe perhaps because I don't have any young grandchildren any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I thought that photo was a gem too. Before the exhibition was announced I had never even heard of Marvel or its universe, although was aware of Iron Man and Thor (filmed in a location not far from here). As a guide, it has been a very steep learning curve for me! I also find that the information goes out of my mind very quickly because it is not my 'thing', and I have to revise every time I go there - good brain training, maybe?

      Delete
    2. Trish, when I come here for pretties, you do not disappoint. Beautiful flowers, as always, with other lovelies! Brotherly love is the cutest! Enjoy your visit!

      Debbie

      Delete
    3. Hi Debbie, even as the smallest child, I loved pretties: flowers, birds, floral china, fairies, and pink! Some things never change, and one always finds new things to appreciate. Aren't those little boys the cutest? :))

      Delete
  5. The brothers and the lorikeets are the best! Enjoyed reading about all your adventures and your first flowerpictures in these beautiful colours are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janneke, yes, love is always the best! Glad you enjoyed the flowers and colour.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your daffodil! It must be a huge challenge to get it to bloom where you live. I'm sure it's enjoying the little bit of cool weather you have left. I'm glad to hear Mr. Cardinal's recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is only one spot in our garden where a daffodil is possible. It is a cold corner with only gentle morning sun, well protected from the elements. I soon worked out its possibilities when we came here. Thank goodness for good health - the best gift of all.

      Delete
  7. Frost, I am looking forward to that!
    Looks like you have gorgeous flowers at the florists like they do I England, you are lucky!
    Hope Mr. C. is better soon. Wait on him hand and foot, will you? That's a good girl. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to frost too! Would not be surprised if our florist flowers came from England, lol. Flowers seem to be flown all round the world these days.
      Ha, I am not a very good nurse alas, but we manage :)

      Delete
  8. Patricia,
    Those colors at the Florist are gorgeous. Your grandpuppy is such a sweet one. I love that picture of the brothers, that is a treasured picture. Yes, August is going fast, and the arrival of Fall will soon be here for us. This is a pretty dainty vintage linen. Love the sweet blue birds on it.

    Enjoy your Spring days there, Patricia. : ) We had a solar eclipse here yesterday, and today the skies are beautiful. Very strange weather, and the sun is shining more brightly than ever through the clouds.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, glad you enjoyed the touch of Spring in the air. I love that picture of the boys too - I don't think I ever captured one like that of my two boys. I think big boy was taking care of little boy, not to fall in the rapid stream.
      I heard about the solar eclipse in the media, quite a sensation it seems. It has been years and years since we had one like that in Australia. Maybe never again in my lifetime!

      Delete
  9. How nice to see Spring approaching. Always my favourite time of year but we have winter to get through! We have had a grey and cool summer this year. The long range weather forecasters got it right, for once! Thanks for the nice photos of your garden and around your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny, you have the best Springs over there - but we do enjoy our moments of Cottage Garden prettiness. Miss your blog! Hope all goes well with you and yours.

      Delete