Friday, March 8, 2024

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY


 

   Happy International Women's Day dear Readers..

I hope you are all well..


At last we have a soft breath of Autumn late in the afternoon, and sometimes a cooling South-Easterly breeze late at night.

Bliss....



This week I went to my sewing group, and completed a tri-fold pouch, a slow-stitched collage of old linen, lace and fabric scraps.  It will be a gift to a special member of our family.



Front

 
and Back.

The Sewing Sisters spent as much time talking about Junk Journals as we did working on our sewing.
I got lots of new tips and special little bits and pieces to work with.
Nothing to how you yet, but I am diligently learning and working on my first journal.


Meanwhile, back at QAGOMA where I work as a tour guide,
a new exhibition has opened.  Above is a work called 'Skin Country' by Carol McGregor, of the Wathaurung people.
It is a giant map of the greater Brisbane area, made from ochre, charcoal, wax thread and pyroincision on grey possum skins.

 The Brisbane River snakes across the map, surrounded by delicate botanical pictures of native flora, painted with natural pigments sourced from the areas depicted.  Some of the flora correspond to Aboriginal suburb names which come from the abundance of a particular plant in the area.

The use of stitched possum skins is informed by the artist's inheritance of possum-skin cloak-making traditions.  Traditional possum-skin cloaks were worn by Aboriginal people in cold weather and colder climes, the inside of the skins marked with personal tribal designs, totems and maps of Country.  Contemporary possum-skin cloak-making continues this practice.

The Red Cardinal nest is located North of the River, and slightly to the left of centre where there is a fern with an orange leaf or seed pod above it, which could be mistaken for a red bird if you were very imaginative...

(Edited to add:
In Australia all native flora and fauna are protected species.  The only exception is that Indigenous peoples can hunt for traditional purposes.  In this case, the Possum skin cloak is a traditional item.  Possums are very common, and in fact many people regard them as a pest.  They are not killed, only relocated if they are living in your roof, which happens a lot and has happened in our house.  Koalas, for example, are an endangered species and would never be hunted to make an art work.)

Hermannsburg Potters

Hermannsburg Potters

The exhibition is titled 'Seeds and Sovereignity' and is open in QAGOMA now.
Enjoy the weekend

XXXXX



13 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your Autumn days. Spring is arriving here in the states. That is a neat map of your area, and creative. I cringed a bit knowing it was made from possum skin haha, as I have a dreadful fear of mice and rats and rodents. How fun to attend your sewing group, and the pouch you made is really nice. I like the fact that it was made from old fabric pieces. What a special gift that will be for your loved one.

    Happy March days, dear Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sheri, thank you for your comment. I have edited my post to add that hunting possums is illegal except for Indigenous purposes. I am having fun making things from my old fabric bits - art making without paints!

      Delete
  2. Happy Int'l Womens Day to you too Trish! I love the culture you share here. It's so fascinating and beautiful. And I'm intrigued by your album. You'll have to share more when you feel like it. :) (being a scrapbooker I'm invested!) Lol Blessings on your weekend ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, glad you enjoy the different culture. I enjoy visiting the North American cultures too. I will take some pictures of my journal work when I have something nice to share :) I love that you scrapbook too. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Happy International Women's Day to you to if a little late. I am proud I was able to deliver another wonderful woman on this day. I adore your trifold pouch. We have always been soul sisters in these kinds of endeavours Trish.
    The new exhibition sounds and looks wonderful.
    I too am enjoying the slightly cooler weather xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have your daughter born on this auspicious day! Our girls are both great. Are you making the trifold pouch too? We are indeed soul sisters with these ideas. I love to collage fabric into just about anything, clothing included, lol. xx

      Delete
  4. Happy International Women's Day, Trish, a little late! I love to see your lovely sewing. Hope to see more as you work!

    One very cold winter about 5 years ago, my mother had one possum after another break into the back of her house. It couldn't enter the main part of her house, just the entry way where she has shelves for storage. We got someone to catch them with cages, then turned them loose away from her house, but a total of 3 possums came and made such a mess tossing all her boxes off her selves looking for food.
    There are harmless and useful eating insect pests, but you don't want them living on your roof or in your entryway, as I'm sure you know.

    Enjoy autumn, aways a too short season here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those possums are little devils - just like they are in Australia! We also have 'The Possum Man' who will come and do the same thing, take them away in a cage and back to the bush. We have a lovely Autumn breeze today - blissful..

      Delete
    2. 'The Possum Man' — He, he! :)

      Delete
  5. A belated acknowledgement of International Women's Day, Patricia. What amazing textile art in the museum - textile and skin, I guess.
    Your fabric collage piece is beautiful. I hope your autumn is a comfortable one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie. I was attracted to this art piece immediately - it has the sort of calculated randomness I love. My little pouch was well received, and I am working on another one. Happy Springtime to you.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete