Monday, August 14, 2023

TO THE BALLET

 


It was wonderful to go to the Queensland Ballet Academy Gala...


I bought tickets immediately on hearing the recent announcement of the imminent retirement of Artistic Director, Li Cunxin, AO, due to serious health concerns.

Regular readers of the blog might remember previous discussions about Li's amazing career. Chosen from a country classroom in Mao's China, he was taken to train as a ballet dancer, not seeing his family for many years.  Subsequently, as a rising star, the young Li was chosen to go on exchange to the Houston Ballet in the USA, and eventually chose to live in the West.  His story was told in the remarkable autobiography 'Mao's Last Dancer' (2003) and the film of the same name (2009).  If you have not seen it, it is a wonderful story of courage, love, and Ballet.

Li married a Queensland dancer who he met in Houston, Mary McKendry, whose own remarkable story is told in her book 'Mary's Last Dance'.  Both books are a great read.

After international careers, they settled in Brisbane when Li was appointed to the Queensland Ballet in 2013.  Mary became Ballet Mistress.

Google image - now

Google image - then

Google image - Tchaikovsky Suite

The Gala, featuring dozens of Academy students destined for a career in Ballet, began and ended with Tchaikovsky.




Academy Define (Grand Parade).  

The Finale was indeed Grand.  I counted 128 dancers on the very large stage at the Academy.


I decided to wear this happy dress, made during the pandemic.  
And the moral of this photo is:  Never look into the afternoon sun at the Ballet matinee....





Apologies to the lovely Readers who commented on my last post, and who were overlooked in the replies.  I got myself into a Blog Muddle. Again.  However, things have been rectified and I have left a little conversation there for everyone.  We're all in this together...



Solitary daffodil is still going and sends its regards..


Go dancing, or whatever lifts your spirits...

XXXX








17 comments:

  1. Dearest Patricia,
    That was a very meaningful ballet performance and a memorable retirement for this internationally groomed star and Artistic Director.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mariette, it was a beautiful afternoon, with excerpts from many different Ballets. The students were outstanding.

      Delete
  2. Your dress is gorgeous!
    Seeing ballet in persons is a beautiful and spiritual experience.

    A ballet company from New York City sometimes performed at my high school. It was fascinating to actually see the dancing so close up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like that dress, and it received many lovely comments from members of the audience. How wonderful to see the New York ballet. I am sure they were absolutely fantastic. And yes, so much better up close in reality, not on film.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful time at the ballet, Patricia. They all look so graceful. I bet the academy students were thrilled to be on stage. I really like your bright and cheerful dress. The last set of flowers are so pretty. The color reminds me of Fall, which I'm patiently waiting for. ; )

    Have a blessed week, Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that last flower does look like Fall - it is a Crucifix Orchid, and is easy to grow. I have a few of those plants. Hi from my cheerful dress :)

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely dress! (And a wonderfully cheerful smile to go with it too ). Nice photo. I'm glad that you enjoyed the show and I do hope that Li makes a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I made the dress because the fabric looks like fun, but it has been rarely worn! However, the ballet or Christmas parties seem to be appropriate :)

      Delete
  5. Seeing that ballet must have been very enjoyable. Glad you were wearing such a lovely dress. Let me know how you like the cake recipe. I think she has some others on line. I'll let you know if I make a different cake from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla, I will buy the ingredients for the cake tomorrow. It will be our weekend treat. Hi from my dress of many colours!

      Delete
  6. So lovely Trish! I don't know a lot about ballet, but I love how much I learn through you. It sure looks like it was an amazing production!! Your dress is just beautiful (as is the wearer) 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Carrie, I rather like my dress too. It is a bit over the top, but received lots of compliments. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned ballet for 12 years as a child, and only gave it up when Matriculation demands were becoming too intense. But now, many decades later, I would love to go back and see the Queensland Ballet Academy Gala... or any other performance.

    Beginning and ending with Tchaikovsky was a clever choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful you did 12 years of ballet. Both my sister did that also, but I only managed to be a ballet pianist for a couple of years in my teens. I do hope you get to see Ballet again, soon. Tchaikovsky simply IS ballet, it seems to me.

      Delete
  9. I was quite involved with the New York City Ballet before caring for my mother and plqn to return to going to prefrmnaces one say. Lovely to know the stories here too. Ballet is a small world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York City Ballet is a fabulous company, and fantastic that you have seen them. I have always been attracted to the world of ballet too. My sisters were advanced dancers.

      Delete