Friday, August 18, 2023

SUMMER BRIGHTS

 


August in Brisbane has traditionally been cold, very cold, with biting Westerly winds..

our equivalent of February in the Northern hemisphere, actually...

Times have changed, they have, and we have seen days of Spring weather, warm sunshine, a few showers of rain, and yesterday the first thunderclap of the Summer Storm Season.

I am rather hoping for the return of Winter, just a little bit more, as a nine month Summer is simply Too Much!



My favourite Shoe Store closed for week to re-decorate,

and this is what I found...

All bright in orange and pink, to introduce the coming Summer stock.


It seemed wrong not to bring something home with me....


It has been a while since I showed something from the Qld. Art Gallery Collection:

Mary Norrie, Aus. 1917-2005  'Focal point' c.1971

Two 'vintage' pieces are currently on show.  An influential exponent of hard-edge and colour field abstraction in Brisbane, artist Mary Norrie uses colour and shape beautifully, to create a sense of balance and harmony.  The two paintings glow with their jewel-bright colour and are indeed a focal point in the Australian gallery right now.

Mary Norrie, Aus. Qld. 1917-2005 'Red square with stripes' 1971

'Red square with stripes' won first prize in the 1972 Brookfield Show, judged by Roy Churcher, a leading artist and teacher in the 1960s.

He was my first art teacher when I was a teen.

These works seem to me so evocative of the mid-century avant-garde, but now I find a nostalgic quality, a reminder of far-away times over 50 years ago when I was young and adventurous.

And I still love those bright pink/red tones....

Have a bright weekend


XXXXX

















27 comments:

  1. Dearest Patricia,
    Lovely roses!
    Those shoes must wear very comfortable—a must for the warmer seasons.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wear sandals for many months of the year, due to the humidity. I think these will match my Summer wardrobe, and be comfortable as well. I had to get them when I saw them, before someone else did!

      Delete
  2. Your pot of coloured flowers placed on a white chair looks special. I cut flowers and put them in a vase each week, but they don't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love growing flowers when the weather is suitable. It is so nice to have something to bring indoors. The little violas are also edible and I use them to decorate cakes or salads.

      Delete
  3. I love the bright reds and pinks too! (orange as well ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) The sandals you found are SO CUTE! It's so neat how you're exact opposite of the northwoods. You dread 9 months of summer and I dread the 9 long months of winter up here! I think what we both dread is what it brings - lots of hibernation (you in a/c to stay cool...and me in heat to keep warm) Lol I hope you get several more cozy days and a nice gentle and mild Spring. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our climates certainly are reversed. We are hoping all the bushfires from Canada do not come over here in the next few months, fingers crossed. I can see you also like colour, and playing around with it; it brings joy to the soul. The sandals will look good with my green dress, my orange dress, my yellow dress.....you get the picture :) xx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, I think they will be very happy here ๐Ÿฉท๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿงก

      Delete
  5. My favorite season is summer, but I know a 9 month summer isn't natural so likely not good for the earth, Trish. Love your new sandals … oooo, ahhh, ooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am concerned about the bush fires in North America - I do hope they don't pop over here for our Summer. We had a dreadful time in 2019. Meanwhile, cheerful sandals are just the thing for a hot humid day. Glad you like them :)

      Delete
  6. I love your shoes. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sandals are really cute, Patricia. It seems that shops are decorating with orange and pink. They go nicely together. I hope it cools down for you soon. It sounds like it's been very hot there. We had some days of rain, and this week will be in the 80's. I feel our Autumn will be coming soon.

    Such pretty flowers you have shared with us today. Have a blessed weekend, Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sheri, I like the orange and pink together too, and it is appearing here in the shops and Summer fashions. Our weather is crazy, with low Winter temperatures in the early morning, zooming up to Summer at midday, and cold again at night. When your Autumn comes, I suspect we will get the really hot Summer, but hopefully without the bush fires! Happy Sunday to you Sheri.

      Delete