Monday, April 10, 2023

EASTER HOLIDAY

 


Hello

I hope everyone enjoyed the Easter break...

We certainly did..


By happy coincidence, the Easter holiday coincided with the first birthday of our much-loved only granddaughter..

I made a little patchwork quilt for the small dolly we gave her.

She is a sweet child, and seems to like the doll, as well as the Easter chicken we gave her on Sunday...

We enjoyed her beautiful birthday party, with exquisite decor done by my clever daughter-in-law.

Baby partied with her three brothers and assorted family and friends, having a fine time.

It brought back memories of our only little girl, now a mother of two healthy boys.  The birthday girl resembles her aunt sometimes in her expression, and it is a special thing to see.



On Easter Sunday morning, I decided to wear this linen dress to church.  I made it about five years ago, and think the colours look a bit like a sunrise.  I added a vintage yellow brooch, for another hint of sunshine...



It was wonderful to sing with a full choir on this special day..




In case you have missed it, I thought I'd show you a picture of the Coronation invitation - no, we did not receive one, lol.

To a bird and garden lover, it is very attractive, with blooms of significance for the United Kingdom:  Roses for England, thistles for Scotland, daffodils for Wales and shamrocks for Ireland.




King Charles and Queen Camilla were pictured going to church at Windsor Castle.

Camilla seems to like blue, and I think it suits her.  The little blue hat is cute and very Spring-like.


Also in blue, the Princess of Wales and in fact, the whole family.

I love cobalt blue, and hope it is coming back for another run.

I think I still have an old jumper in this colour... 

somewhere...


I have continued gathering together everything we need for our upcoming trip to Canada, but finding time for my latest slow-stitching project.  

For the unfamiliar, this is an embroidered and collaged fabric scroll, designed to be rolled around an antique spool.  Born of the pandemic, when we all spent time at home, it is relaxing and creative, and I find it the perfect way to dig out all the bits and bobs in my sewing room which I have collected over many years.  No piece of old embroidery, lace or ribbon, or scrap of linen, is safe around here.  They are highly likely to end up in a flower garden.

When I want a little deer or rabbit, I paint a tiny watercolour on calico and stitch it in.

The project is inspired by two sisters who make online tutorials to follow on U-tube on a fortnightly basis.  The one I am doing is called 'Down the Garden Path', and can be found on Roxy's Journal of Stitchery Vol. 3.  It goes for six months and I am now half way through.



The prompts are simply ideas like 'wildflowers', 'vegetables', 'gate', 'shed', or 'bench'.  Other than that, it is entirely one's own creation, which I really enjoy.

Many people are posting their efforts on Facebook, and I love going through them to see the creative embroidery from all over the world.


Have a great week

XXXXX








18 comments:

  1. Dearest Patricia,
    That sounds like a perfect Birthday party was had by all—very special.
    Don't know where I have my old wooden bobbin spool but yours did bring back memories as I recognized it right away.
    It for sure was not the weather here to wear a linen dress like yours—nippy windy and rainy.
    Hopefully the final cold spell and it was so gorgeous right before Easter.
    The svelte Princess of Wales looks great in her cobalt blue robe with dress underneath.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Antique shops across the world are finding sudden popularity for old wooden bobbin spools! Yes, still warm enough here for linen, but Autumn is coming on.

      Delete
  2. Oh, forgot to mention that for the first time in almost 7 weeks I sang in the chancel choir at Easter Mass—ending with the Hallelujah Chorus from Händel. Pieter once more enjoyed us playing with musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both kate and Camilla look great. I had a lovely Easter.
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder what they will wear for the Coronation!

      Delete
  4. The Royal Coronation is going to be quite the event! I hope to watch it on the TV...it will be fun to see what the guests wear!
    Happy 1st birthday to your granddaughter!
    I love linen dresses...have a few of them but we need warmer weather in order to wear them! Hopefully your weather is warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to watching the Coronation too - but will be in a plane over the ocean while it happens! Thank goodness for recordings. Our little grand girl had an amazing party, and also Easter day, where she learnt to say 'chicken' and I think she said 'Grannie' :)

      Delete
  5. Your dress is pretty that you wore for Easter, Patricia. And the quilt and cloth doll for your granddaughter is so special, and I'm sure will be treasured for years to come. Your embroidery project is coming along nicely. It's beautiful, Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri, I have always loved to sew and as my eyes get older, I want to stitch as much as possible!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely post, Patricia. I expect you're getting excited about your trip to Canada now. I'm impressed you have time for stitching, though. Such lovely fine work! I've been off blog for a bit, but I'm getting back to it now. I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. Yes, we are getting excited and perhaps a bit nervous. So much has changed in the world in the four years since last we left our shores. Glad you are getting back to your blog. I do not seem to have enough to write about these days - but the trip should make a big difference! Easter with the little ones was very special, and we loved it.

      Delete
  7. I love all the Easter themes and quit and your dress and accessories for Church. All very lovely.

    Queen Camilla wears hats and tiaras well. They suit her! She is a hard worker too. I'm happy the Consort has been dropped from her title, as it was for Queens Alexandra, Mary and Elizabeth, later the Queen Mother. At 1st, it had to be used to distinguish her from Queen Elizabeth, but now with a tad of time, you know Camilla is being referenced.

    What do you mean, cobalt blue is returning, Trish, did one of my favorite colors ever go out of style? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Debra, the Queen Consort title was awkward and unnecessary, and she will be Queen Camilla when she is crowned. He he, I love cobalt too, and it is always lurking around in my wardrobe. Ten years ago I made a cobalt blue linen dress and wore it to death. Time to make another one :)

      Delete
  8. Hello dear Trish!
    It sure sounds like you had a lovely Easter and birthday party for your sweet little granddaughter. 💗 You are such a talented seamstress!! I love that dress! And the stitching you work on is so sweet too.
    I agree that cobalt blue is such a lovely color. My daughter found a prom dress on our trip and it's cobalt blue but when it swishes it catches the lights and shines moments of fuschia. It's the coolest dress. I'm sure I'll be sharing pics of it in the future! ;)
    Have a blessed week ahead. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carrie, I remember I had a needle in my hand before I went to school! Stitching has always been part of my life. What a cool dress, cobalt and fuschia! I would love that too. Can't wait to see a picture. Blessings back to you! xxx

      Delete
  9. Oh my, your embroidery is exquisite! I love that you told us that you can see the resemblance between your granddaughter and her aunt. I've always had a thing for faces but you know, not everyone does! I can't wait until you share with us your thoughts on the Coronation! Really love your views on art and fashion. xx

    ReplyDelete