Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A TROPICAL GETAWAY AND SPECIAL VISITORS

 


Recently we had a short getaway in far North Queensland...

by the beach near Cairns...


Leaving behind the mid-Winter cold of Brisbane, we flew much closer to the Equator, and into Summery warmth for a few days.

This was a very special occasion:  Our daughter and her family had flown in from Canada to spend a whole month with us.

We had not seen each other for over two years...



I loved walking along the esplanade, and occasionally ventured on to the sand...

It is necessary to be wary, because:





Fortunately, a short drive away there were safe, patrolled beaches for swimming.  And swim our grandsons certainly did, in the sea and in a pool at our beach house.
And when we came back to Brisbane, they were in our pool frequently, ignoring the Winter weather.  

Canadians are tough people!



Our French-speaking grandsons are big boys now, the older nearly a teen.
They really enjoyed their Australian adventure...




Back at the Red Cardinal nest, our visitors enjoyed the birdlife of our garden.  Our daughter named this cockatoo 'Bob', because he bobs his head up and down.  
Bob is not my favourite bird.  He and I are constantly at war, because he wants to decapitate my flowers, and throw things around on our deck.
Just for fun.
Given a quiet day, sometimes he completely destroys a few pot-plants.
Hmmmm.......


Bob is not afraid of the tin kookaburra from K Mart, which frightens off all the other birds.  Bob likes to toss it onto the floor with a great clatter.
Naughty Bob....


Due to the antics of Bob and his mates, we do not see the lorikeets as frequently these days. However, we did have a gorgeous red King Parrot the other day:





My daughter brought me this brooch from Canada, a replica of the Queen's Canadian maple leaf pin.

It even came with a photo:

It will be a treasured piece, and I have worn it several times this week.


With bad luck, I came down with another bout of RSV flu while our visitors were here, and missed quite a few family excursions.  That's life!

As Spring slowly arrives, the Red Cardinal garden is pushing up a few blooms.
Our compulsory daffodil or two have managed to defeat the neglect and have arrived.


Spring will hopefully bring me better health, and I am back walking again.


There are some mini horses in our neighbourhood...


and this beautiful white horse which watches us walk past with a careful eye...


Our creek, always a running stream..


The Iris patch is thriving this Spring.


They are such a joy every September.
And so is our King Orchid (Dendrobium) grown from a cutting from my late father's beautiful plant:


This year there at 15 beautiful fronds of tiny creamy white orchid blooms..


    




Are you watching the historical images coming through from the UK?
To watch the passing of a monarch and the installation of the next is both sad and fascinating.  

Enjoy the change of season.

XXXX


























20 comments:

  1. I am delighted to learn that you have seen your lovely Canadian family again and that you all spent such a special time together - preious memories for you all.
    Bob is a naughty bird! We have a naughty animal too - a deer. I received a wonderful pale lemon rose a couple of weeks ago mounted in a gorgeous handmade pot which had a least 12 glorious blooms. Two nights ago the deer must have called and gobbled up every single flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the family for a whole month, which was wonderful, very special. The boys have really grown up. I admit I smiled to read about your deer: how naughty they are, these cheeky creatures. At least the deer eat the blooms, so must be hungry. The cockatoos just make mischief for fun and leave the flowers lying on the ground. Then they go to the bird feeders and call out for seed, which I refuse to give!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Patricia,
    Oh, what a joy for having your daughter and family visiting for one month!
    Those crocs are a scary thing at the beach...
    But certainly your Canadian grandsons enjoyed swimming and even at your pool. Canada is far to the northern hemisphere and yes, they are more hardened with their always cold waters.
    Hoping you indeed will stay free of any RSV attacks...
    Your birds are so exotic, even if they turn out to be naughty.
    Yes, the TV screen is filled with the beauty of medieval cathedrals and lots of age old formality.
    That is far better than any modern movie...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how often crocodiles appear at the beach, but it is best to be warned! You are so right, the beauty of the pageantry is far better than modern movies...I am watching all the ceremonies, and they are beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you got to see your daughter after all this time, Patricia. That was a long visit to enjoy all the moments together. Sounds like you had a lovely visit. Bob may be mischievous, but he sure is handsome and looks quite regal. I loved seeing pictures of the creek. It looks so peaceful, and the white horse must be a delight to see. Your grandsons are having fun at the beach, and I bet they had many Australian surprises on their trip. And I love that rainbow photo. Such a sweet post today this morning, Patricia. It always amazes me that it's Autumn here when it's Spring there. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was well over two years until we could gather as a family. We took special family photos, with the twins and the new granddaughter included. Bob is a regal old bird, and he does take a good photo, he he. Yes, the change of seasons is strange, as we all have the same temperatures for about a month, and lots of the same flowers.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful news to see your Canadian family!
    Scary, but good to know warning signs at the beach
    Bob needs therapy
    Prayers for your good health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Bob he needs therapy. He just looked at me strangely :) It was wonderful therapy to see the family again, and thank you for your prayers. I am hoping to regain fitness and travel to Canada next year ... in the beautiful Springtime.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful you got such a wonderful visit with your Canadian family! That truly warms my heart! Sending you big hugs from Southern California! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to see the family after well over two years. We can't wait to travel over there again ourselves. Big hugs to you from Australia! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Our tropical north is a delight in Winter....how wonderful for you to be all together again after so long. Gorgeous brooch and a real keepsake especially with recent events. I wonder if Bob is the same naughty cocky of yours that lives in my sketch folder...he lovec your petunias if I recall lol! Beautiful Spring blooms....your King orchid is magnificent! I have less spikes this year....mine is a touchy specimen for some reason.
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell...feel better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been years since we went up North, and it was a lovely break away from the cold. Bob says he is closely related to the naughty cocky who loved pink petunias! I think a fortunate position is the secret of our success with the King orchid - it sure isn't our gardening skills lol. I am feeling a little stronger now, which is great after many months. My doctor suggests wearing a mask when with the little ones, but I really think they will just pull it off me.... Thinking of you, xxx

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to see your Canadian family again after such a long time apart. Do they live in Quebec? (I ask because your grandsons speak French.)
    The brooch from your daughter is beautiful and a sweet nod to the Queen. I've been watching bits and pieces of the coverage, and find all the pageantry so fascinating. Tomorrow I plan to go to Government House to sign the book of condolence there.
    As you anticipate spring, I hope your health improves. Bob sounds like quite a naughty character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic, Lorrie. They live in Ottawa, so Quebec is very close and they have relatives and friends across the border. Our daughter teaches English at high school and university level, so they really are bi-lingual. The pageantry is so beautiful, something we rarely see, especially in casual Australia. I love that you are going to sign the book. I think Bob knows we are talking about him because he has not appeared for two days, he he. Thank you for your kind wishes.

      Delete
  8. Oh Heavens, your grandsons are so grown up now! I so so enjoy the flowers and different types of birds visit your garden. Bob is a rascal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids grow too fast! Glad you enjoy our little bit of nature. Bob sure is a rascal, and I will win this war :)

      Delete
  9. Oh how wonderful you got time with your daughter and grandsons again!! Such beautiful photos and sounds like it was just lovely. I literally Lol'd about your naughty Bob bird. 😂 You live in such a gorgeous place. And I love that pin!! So pretty. I have been watching all about the royals and the Queen lying in state. 🙏 😊
    I hope you have a blessed weekend ahead Trish! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so wonderful to see the family again: during Covid I sometimes wondered if we would ever get back together. Love my maple leaf pin, and I too am watching the coverage in the UK. Have a great weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  10. So happy to read that your family is with you for a month. How wonderful. I enjoyed reading back through your posts on the queen. I've been watching all the ceremonies as have most of my U.S. friends. I remember watching her coronation on tv in 1952. Your new maple leaf pin is lovely and will bring back happy memories of this time as you wear it in the future.

    ReplyDelete