Wednesday, December 30, 2020

CHRISTMAS DAY 2020

 




Christmas was a simple but joyous occasion at the Red Cardinal house, after our sudden change of plan.
Sadly, the pandemic is continuing to spread in Sydney...


We celebrated with the tiny twins and their parents...


and also with a new grand-puppy who has arrived at the home of our younger son in Brisbane:


Of course, I watched the Queen's Christmas message, a rather solemn one -  
the United Kingdom has seen great loss and sadness this year, and our thoughts are with you all.

Her Majesty looked very chic in purple crepe, set off by the stunning Queen Mother's Shell brooch.



I also like to follow the Royal Christmas cards, and my pick this year is the one chosen by The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their adorable little family (I admit a soft spot for a family of three, just like mine, two boys and one girl).



We went out to the post-Christmas sales today, and finally bought a new cook-top and a new dishwasher.


Both our existing ones are literally on their last legs...

Now to await the delivery man...

And the installation man...

And the man who will safely remove the unsafe old stove...

And the man who will put in new benchtops to accommodate the new, modern, differently sized cooktop...

And the Electrician who will then connect the new stove...

Which should bring us up to Easter....


In the meantime, I am reading a gift book, 'Mary's Last Dance'.

Mary McKendry, wife of Li Cunxin, known as Mao's Last Dancer in book and film.

Former stars of the Houston Ballet, they are now based in Brisbane where Li is Artistic Director of the Queensland Ballet.

Their first child, Sophie, was born profoundly deaf, and received a Cochlear Implant as a toddler.  The book follows Mary's career as an Australian ballerina, dancing in London and Houston and her early retirement to help her daughter.  She is now Ballet Mistress at the Queensland Ballet.





It is a beautifully written and inspirational book.
Perfect for Summer reading.

Take care wherever you are in this holiday season.
Tomorrow is New Year's Eve. 

Thank you all for your support and beautiful comments throughout the year.
I value your friendship more than I can say, and especially so during the past weird and challenging year of 2020.


Here is a little shot of my Canadian grandsons, which should help we Australians to feel a bit cooler in the current high humidity.

My daughter tells me they are already rolling out the Covid19 vaccine in their area...
It will start in Australia in a month or two.

Let us hope a vaccine brings us some safety, peace of mind, and the beginnings of a return to normality in the coming year.




XXXX









 
 

14 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Trish, my dear friend. What an unexpected and cherished offshoot of being a blogger … developing friendships with a 2nd blogger/writer across the miles!! And once in, you can't get out.;)

    I wish you and your family a Happy New Year. We will probably not get back to normal before July/August after a good part of the world is vaccinated. Here in the USA the vaccines have only been administered to some health care workers, so the distribution has a way to go. But it's happening and moving forward!

    Will Little Aussie be coming by before his little brothers fly back home? I foresee some Zoom or FaceTime calls with all 5 boys in your family's future.

    Enjoy what sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to know distribution is now happening, and we can begin to see the light in the future. Little Aussie has connected again with the twins, on a short visit to the beach. You are right, I think we will be zooming together for the foreseeable future. We certainly have no intention of going back to Sydney while the current flare-up of the virus is going on! Happy New Year - I am thinking of Times Square, etc. I am sure it will be rather different this year?

      Delete
    2. You are right, Trish. The Times Square area was blocked off by police. The public was not allowed to watch the ball drop, or get near it this year. A relatively small number of hospital workers were invited to attend, which without the large crowds, must have been a once-in-a-lifetime thrill for them.

      I'm glad Little Aussie got another visit with the babies and that you and Mr. C had a lovely Christmas. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I'm so pleased to see you had such a wonderful and relaxing Christmas without the shadow of Covid hanging over you, Patricia. Wishing you a very Happy New Year and may it see the end of this horrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Val, thank you for your good wishes. I hope you had a lovely Christmas too, however you can manage it. We never hear about what is happening in your part of the world, sadly. I did see something about Germany this week, but the pandemic just goes on. Happy New Year, and here's to a brighter 2021.

      Delete
  3. Ooo is that a Cardinal Vine? How do you manage so many flowers? Thank you for the book recommendation it sounds like a super read. I do an adult ballet class at 2 Ballerinas and am in constant awe of those who dance professionally. I’m so glad you had a family Christmas with your Sydney family managing to avoid quarantine. Both my boys are in lockdown one in Sydney and the other Panama..... I did feel like saying ‘well if you lived in Brisbane!.......’ I notice 3 international art exhibitions coming to Oz one in Brisbane and the others in Canberra and Sydney all nicely spread out .... if we can only get there!! I’d like to wish you the best of the best for 2021. Keep the posts coming I do love reading them. Cheers Lindsey. Brisbane 😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, wouldn't that be fun, a cardinal vine. I bought that glass red cardinal at a junk shop within walking distance of our daughter's Ottawa home. It survived the long flights home to Brisbane and takes pride of place at the window every Christmas. I love that you do adult ballet - what a beautiful way to exercise. My two sisters did ballet until their late teens, and ballet was always part of our household. My contribution was to be a ballet pianist on and off for a few years, when I was also young and had flying fingers! So sad your boys are in lockdown - I shudder at the thought of it. Can't live without fresh air. We so look forward to the exhibition of the Met coming to GoMA this year. It will be fabulous - I hope you come to see it. Maybe we could have coffee on one of my guiding days. Cheers and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely will be seeing it and hopefully the other 2 as well. I’m relieved about the vine I love gardening but we live on shale so it’s a struggle! I am interested that you can play the piano. I’m learning to keep my brain active but also because I love music although given that I massacre most pieces I won’t be playing for my ballet class!! Happy New Year to you and your family. 😎

      Delete
  5. Your Christmas sounded lovely...how wonderful to get extra cuddles with your gorgeous twins from Sydney. It has been so difficult for so many families being apart this Christmas. Your Canafian boys are so cute! I think that your summer read should go on my wish list. There is nothing nicer than a good book. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones Trish xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you must read Mary's Last Dance, Michelle. I think you will enjoy it, especially her lovely Ballet Mum. We try not to think too much about when we can see the Canadians again - it could be years. It will take a long time to immunize North America. Happy New Year.xxx

      Delete
  6. You spent a lovely Christmas, Patricia. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I'm happy to meet you. I hope the vaccine works and that you will be able to come to Canada to see your cute little grandchildren. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie and welcome to my blog. Fingers and toes crossed for all the vaccines around the world. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Your Christmas sounds lovely and must ave been very special in the company of tiny twins. Every good wish for a happy, healthy year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we will miss the tiny twins as they return home soon. Best wishes for a bright and happy year.

      Delete