Friday, October 25, 2019

SOME ART AND A ROYAL TOUR



From Nice, our tour group explored the rich art history of the surrounding area.
The climate is so perfect, it is no surprise that Picasso, Matisse, Renoir and many others spent time here, often in their later years.

Here are some of my highlights:



The Marc Chagall National Museum, created with the cooperation of the artist himself.



Chagall (1887-1985) designed the stained glass for the concert hall within the museum:





The beautiful town of Vence, where Henri Matisse 1869-1954) lived during World War II.



The Chapel of the Rosary was planned and carried out by Matisse for the Congregation of the Dominican Nuns.  Interior photography of the chapel was not permitted, but I did get a postcard or two:




It was an exquisite little space..

The attached museum was beautifully curated, with photos, sketches, and the silk vestments also designed by Matisse.



Matisse in his old age, drawing with a stick the designs for the chapel.




Red Cardinal: 'Rainy Day Impression'
Clever arrangement to show Renoir's painting of his house

The Renoir Museum, Cagnes sur Mer,
the final address of the painter Pierre-August Renoir (1841-1919).



I love a pilgrimage!
It was very affecting to walk in his house, see his studio, and admire some original Renoir paintings..





View of the Mediterranean from the terrace..


Madame Renoir
    
The Musee Picasso, Antibes, and, below, Picasso's own painting of it.



This sweet guide, dancing like the figure in the painting..



Picasso's instantly recognizable sculptures of his young partner, Marie Therese..



Picasso loved birds, and kept pigeons much of his life.



That seems to be enough art activity for today.

Last week Prince William and Duchess Catherine went to Pakistan, and I for one loved her beautiful and appropriate fashions.







What do you think?



Today I had some painful and rather gruesome dental work done.
Blood was involved.  I am off to take medication.

XXXX




















20 comments:

  1. Hi Trish wow lots of beautiful places you got to see Thankyou for sharing them with us.
    Oh I love Princess Katherine and I love the way she dresses,she is a very smart elegant lady.
    Hope you aren't in to much pain my friend,take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to go back through my photos and re-live our tour. We were very lucky to be able to enjoy the art of France. I'm planning a quiet weekend! xx

      Delete
  2. I cannot thank you enough for sharing this post! I dream of following in the footsteps of great artists so I enjoyed this very much. And like you, I am Not only struck by the great beauty of Princess Katherine but her thoughtfulness in what she wears in these visits to other countries. Hope you are better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kay, you must go next time you are in London! It is such a short flight to Nice from Heathrow. I am glad you enjoy the great artists too - I have a few more I feel compelled to share :) Thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete
  3. I hope you on the mend from the dentist. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. What a fabulous trip! France is such a wonderful place. And you saw so much gorgeous art! Kate is really bringing out her A game these days. Such a pleasure to see. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, feeling a little better today. Glad you enjoyed the photos - it was a dream come true for me. I so agree, Kate plays an A game these days, really at her best. xo

      Delete
  4. I've been to Nice as well (and to the dentist!) so I'm especially enjoying following your adventures, Pat. I remember the clear light and great views very fondly.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia, I would go back to Nice in a heartbeat, and understand its fame. The light, and the blue of the sea, really attracted me too.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful area, so full of artistic stories. Your RAiny Day was also great, and full of atmosphere - well done! Yes, lovely Indian influenced outfits, a tribute to the culture but not a slavish copy. I wonder who designed them and what a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my rainy impression - I was quite proud of that one from inside the bus. My spies tell me Jenny Packham designed the dark green glittering gown, the turquoise and gold Shalwar Kameez and headscarf were bespoke pieces from Maheen Khan who is known as Pakistan's first couturier, and the black and white embroidered Kurta is from Pakistan designer Elan.

      Delete
  6. You really saw a lovely collection of great art - do you think that Marie Therese was flattered by Picasso's sculptures of her?
    I agree with you about Kate, I too was really taken with her outfits influenced by the host country of Pakistan.
    Hope you soon feel fully recovered from your dental ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I wonder what Marie Therese thought too. Apparently he considered she had a 'classical profile', but he certainly accentuates it in these sculptures, as well as in the paintings. It will take a few days for the dental situation to settle, but meantime it is a good excuse to eat cake while I cannot really chew!

      Delete
  7. Amazing and beautiful visit Trish....memories for a lifetime...loved seeing it all. Thank you! Dental visits not my favourite either. Hope it's not to painful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, glad you enjoyed. I have gone right off dentists now, lol. xx

      Delete
  8. I'm home now also - like you getting back to normal, BUT also having a little dental work and all my annual medical checks will take up much of Nov. for me! Hope you soon feel better and can eat again.
    Loved seeing highlites of your great trip Patricia - travel is so much fun but does take a lot out of one when distances are long.
    Yes, totally in agreement regarding Kate - she is a beautiful woman both inside and out I believe, kind, elegant, and certainly knows how to dress.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twins! Both on the same page, as I also am having medical checks over the next few days. I am glad you liked the highlights Mary. It is like writing a record for ourselves as well and I will write another one or two holiday posts. Long distances from Australia are hard going. We were amazed how quickly we flew from London to Ottawa, a breeze compared to the 14 plus hours we have from Australia to North America or Dubai.

      Delete
  9. Patricia, I really loved your rainy day photo. That could be a painting! You had a wonderfully artistic trip. The picture of Matisse is precious too, and yes, Kate's tribute to Indian clothing is lovely. She carries it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photo too - a lucky unplanned opportunity. It was wonderful how Matisse made art right until the end, finding ways to continue his gift. Well done Kate!

      Delete
  10. The National Gallery in London is so wonderful. I like to visit every time we are there, and run to my favourites! And Provence was everything I imagined it would be too. Kate is spot on with her outfits, and as you say, naturally elegant. She will make a great Queen one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is not uncommon for someone to spend most of their waking hours at their job.satta king This is why you must look for a job all the more serious. Use the advice here to guide you.

    ReplyDelete