Tuesday, February 26, 2019

COLOUR OF THE YEAR AT THE OSCARS


Here at the Red Cardinal Blog we like to discuss the annual Colour of the Year.

The Pantone Colour for 2019 is:

Living Coral


This pretty shade sits somewhere between orange and pink, and in the past I think was simply called 'coral'..

I remember when I was in high school having and loving a cardigan in just this shade.


Dame Helen Mirren at the Oscars. 
 If this is not living coral, it is certainly rather close, and one of my top picks.
But then, I always did love pink....


This is pretty, with a sweet silver bow.
In fact, there were lots of bows to be spotted on the red carpet if you looked closely.. 






Julia Roberts always looks gorgeous and happy..


This black Chanel appealed too...


There is always one charming canary yellow dress at the Oscars -
I love yellow too, but one dress per Awards night is probably enough!


Disappointed that Willem Dafoe missed out on an award for his portrayal of Vincent Van Gogh in 'At Eternity's Gate'.
We loved the film, and thought he was wonderful in the role - sympathetic and eerily like Van Gogh himself in all those self-portraits.



Mr Cardinal and I were doing research for our next big adventure:
We have made our airline reservations for a trip to the South of France to explore the haunts of not only Van Gogh, but Cezanne, Matisse, Chagall, Picasso...

I can't wait to see the settings of many of the famous paintings I have studied over the years.

We then will fly to London and on to Ottawa for a fortnight with our dear daughter and grandsons.  The boys appear to be growing taller every time we see them on Facetime!  We hope to see lots of Autumn leaves...


(And hopefully not the sort of heavy snow they had last week, biggest dump since 1998:
They woke one day to find the snow piled against the glass back door - there are four steps down to the ground here...
No playing outside this week..)

Then we will complete our round-the-world fare by flying home via Vancouver.



We have also been to Sydney lately, to visit our son and his Irish wife, in their picturesque cottage.
Their garden has some resemblance to ours:
Hedges, roses, picket fence...


We proud parents were terribly impressed that our son made this lovely bench for their hallway.  Such a talent!

While in Sydney we saw an exhibition of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings from The Hermitage, St. Petersburg...

In the interests of research, we immersed ourselves in some stunning Cezanne, Matisse and Kandinsky, Gauguin and Monet, and on it went:

Cezanne

Kandinsky
Matisse

And just before I go, one royal fashion sighting:
I was smitten with the fabric in Meghan's Oscar de la Renta dress -
just look at those cute woodland birds and animals.
Don't think I wouldn't kill to get my hands on a piece of that fabric....


It has been raining a little bit here, and the temperatures have dropped, to 29c maximums.  Blissful.  Can Autumn be that far away??

Hope you are all well.

XXXXX

Oh look, they got out there anyway!












19 comments:

  1. The dresses didn't exactly stand out at this year's Oscars like in some years, did they, Trish? Instead they were more like gala dresses I'd desire to buy -- glamorous yet very wearable. :)

    I loved my trip to the museums of Paris years ago. So much fun to see paintings you know from books. Some more huge or smaller than you imagined.

    Oh how great minds think alike!! -- I also wrote about this year's "it" color, and you must see Living Coral as a Chanel purse and a room color: https://thesavvvyshopper.blogspot.com/2019/01/meet-living-coral-trendy-color-for-2019.html. I think you will approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Oscar outfits - and where was Nicole Kidman?? However, pink makes me happy :)
      Had a look at the Chanel purse - how delicious does that look? I think Living Coral will have a good run.

      Delete
  2. https://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2015/10/in-footsteps-of-van-gogh.html

    Link above to my visit to Van Gogh's last home and resting place. A dream come true for me to visit there in 2015. I must find that movie as I haven't seen it. Do go to Auvers - you will love it -

    Also visit Giverny to see Monet's house and garden - awesome.

    https://abreathoffreshair-mary.blogspot.com/2015/09/claude-monets-giverny.html

    Patricia, love this post and hearing about your planned around the world trip - it sounds awesome. Keep us updated please.

    I will be off to England to visit family and friends in May - then we may go back to Ireland, perhaps adding Wales, to another trip, later in the year. Must do these things while still able!!!

    That's a ton of snow - only children enjoy it that deep!!!!!!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Mary for the links - I enjoyed your posts very much. Sadly we missed Giverny on previous trips to Paris - maybe some time in the future. Our planned trip is with a tour group and includes numerous chamber music concerts, visits to wineries, and a short cruise on the Rhone. Much as I would love it, we will not see Auvers as we fly direct from Lyon to London. I really loved your pictures of this pretty place.
      You will have a great trip in May, Springtime in England is gorgeous.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm glad you showed some of the fashions at the Oscars, Patricia. I didn't see it this year. Lots of Pink worn! I like Julia's dress color, so pretty. I didn't know this year's color was Living Coral. It's one of my favorites in the Summer. Meghan looks lovely in her birds dress. What fun travels you have coming up. It will be nice to see your daughter and grandsons. And the little ones look like they are having a blast in the snow.

    Thanks for the fashions, Patricia. I really enjoyed looking at them all.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, I only saw a bit of the telecast and relied on the internet to show me the fashions - the quick way! I think Living Coral will do well in Australia in our hot sunny climate. Can't wait to see my grandsons, with or without snow. You know how it feels to be a grannie :) xx

      Delete
  4. What an exciting trip you are planning Patricia, it will be lovely - all of those artist locations are very special places to visit.
    What a lot of snow - it appears that Canada have had their fair share of snow this winter.
    Your son's property looks to be in a lovely location, and I really like the bench that he made - I think that he must take after his creative mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be a very exciting trip, longer than we usually travel. Best do it while we can! I have long wanted to see Provence and the Riviera.
      Thank you for seeing me as creative - I enjoy thinking I might pass something on to my children. This son is quite musical and used to play the French horn with me accompanying him, a lovely memory.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the Oscars as well, so many lovely dresses, and a lot of films that I've enjoyed this year. I have yet to see Rome, it is on my list.
    How amazing that you are going to the South of France! It is stunning and the museums are almost the best part, with the views and little villages and the unique light, you can immediately understand why so many artists chose to work there.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amalia, we too have enjoyed several of the films on offer, with more to come. We have not seen The Favourite yet. You make the South of France sound most enticing, and I have longed to see it for years, since I first studied Art History. The unique light will be fascinating to see. xo

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing! I am now following you - you can follow back if you wish at Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, thank you for visiting and following. You have a nice blog! I will read a bit more later :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Patricia!
    Oh you will love Fall in Ontario...🍂🍁🍂
    Hope it’s a nice Sunny crisp one for you!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I will Linda. Hope the golden leaves put on a good show for us. Happy homecoming to you :)

      Delete
  8. Coral lipstick! that brings back memories. The 70's were funny. I think that sculptural dress you mention was my favourite of the night - it had all the elements I love: pink, beautiful structure, and a big bow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When younger I never felt I could wear anything in the orange range - including coral. I think HM looks fab in it. Maybe the white/silver hair does the trick.
    You are planning such an amazing trip. I lived in Aix-en-Provence for 6 months in the mid 80's. I hope it still remains the lovely rather small town feel it had them. Cezanne is a favorite of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think coral is a rather difficult colour - according to the colour experts it is not one for me either. However I remember one or two pieces I wore and liked.
      How exciting to have lived in Aix-en-Provence. I will let you know how it is going :) Cezanne, always the best!

      Delete
  10. I caught my breath at the wonderful rose in your top picture! I am not completely enamoured of the Oscars dresses - maybe they are trying a little too hard. (Yes, I know - that is the point! But sometimes (relatively) simplicity stands out too. The lady with the white translucent dress with the wide skirt, and the silver bag was my favourite, it's a nice classic shape! what a fantastic trip you're planning - it should be wonderful. I hope the weather cools down for you too - it sounds as if you've been having a furnace like summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell a lie - the rose is made of silk! We can't produce a rose at all at the moment, still too hot. That silvery dress is lovely, I thought it would look good on a Princess. A furnace indeed in Australia, but today I did feel a little breeze from the South East, hopefully a hint of Autumn.

      Delete