Monday, April 12, 2021

VALE PRINCE PHILIP

 


Farewell to HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who passed away last Friday at age 99.

It is a sad time for our Queen, losing her husband and partner of over 73 years.

What a clever little girl she was, when she set eyes on this handsome Greek Prince when aged only 13....and fell in love.

He was the perfect partner for a dedicated Princess and later Queen, and they formed a very special partnership of duty and service to the nation and the Commonwealth all these years.

The Engagement, 1947


Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 'The Queen at Breakfast' 1965.  Royal Collection Trust.

Prince Philip was a talented, energetic and creative person, and made his mark in many ways, as well as supporting the Queen in her role.

He enjoyed painting, and I found the above sweet painting he did of the Queen reading the news over breakfast.   

Prince Philip in uniform, and a flirtatious smile from the Queen

Long lists are being published of Prince Philip's multiple skills and interests.

There were dozens: he was a real Renaissance Man.

He was occupied in science and technology, the environment, and youth. 

 He gained his Pilot's license in the 1950s and flew for many years. 

He was first President of the World Wild-life Fund.

And on, and on....

73rd Anniversary, November 2020

About 25 years ago we proudly accompanied one of our sons to a ceremony at Government House in Brisbane where he received his Duke of Edinburgh Award.  The Prince began the scheme in 1956 and it has spread around the world.

Teenage participants set goals for achievements in Volunteering, Physical activity, Practical and social skills, and go on an adventurous Expedition.

Our son thoroughly enjoyed the experiences, and the scheme will be a lasting legacy of the Duke.


I have been watching various commentators relating their anecdotes about meeting the prince.  I have certainly never met him, but have seen him a number of times.

As a very small girl, I was 'educated' by my school teacher mother about the Coronation of the new, pretty Queen.  Enthralled by stories of fairies and princesses, I was convinced I had 'long golden hair' and thought it most unfair of my Mum who kept telling me I had short, brown hair.  Which I did.

With her help, I made a scrapbook of pictures of the first Royal Tour of Australia, and during that tour the Queen and Duke visited Brisbane.

I was so impressed, I remember the day very well.  We travelled about an hour to the city, and stood in the crowds at Centenary Place, Fortitude Valley.  We had a good view of the royal procession and I remember the Queen wearing golden yellow with a tiny hat.  Perhaps it was this day:


As always, Prince Philip was there by the side of the Queen.  He visited Queensland at least ten more times, and I saw him up close on a number of these occasions, always interested and communicating with everyone.

 I feel so sad for our Queen, losing her devoted and dependable husband.


May he rest in Peace.











18 comments:

  1. I gasped when I heard the sad news on Friday. I wanted him to reach his milestone 100 birthday. Nonetheless, The Prince lived a long, remarkable life. My thoughts are now with the dear Queen and royal family. R.I.P. everyone's Prince Phillip. The public will miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gasped too, Debra - somehow we all believed he would reach 100. The patriarch of the family has gone, and he will certainly be missed. What a life!

      Delete
  2. It was interesting to read a little bit about Prince Phillip, Patricia. I like that painting he did, what a talent. That's a sweet photo of the little girl in the crowds. And a handsome picture of him in his uniform. This is a lovely post, Patricia.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sent you an e-mail, dear Patricia. : )

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sheri. I wanted to show another side of the prince who was gifted in many ways. He will be missed.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post and we have lost a very interesting and loved member of the Royal family. It is a shame that in the past the media didn't provide us with HRH many talents. My heart goes out to the Queen and her family at this very sad time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rosie. Too much emphasis on a few ‘gaffes’ - he was highly intelligent and motivated and it should be acknowledged. So sad for the Queen.

      Delete
  4. I feel sad too Patricia I grew up I England and stood several times with Mum or teachers while they wizzed past in a big black car! I was 4 and at nursery school the first time and I remember being upset because I had lost my flag and I wasn’t allowed another. The things we remember!! So it’s like a very stable traditional part of my childhood has gone and it’s disturbing. I feel for the queen I can’t imagine how she feels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the little flags, I forgot to mention those! All part of that special experience, and clearly we both remember. You express it so well, the stable, traditional part of our childhood and all our lives, and it has gone. It will be even more so when the Queen is no longer with us. Isn't she amazing? I read today she is going to open Parliament as usual on the 11th May. What a stoic lady she is.

      Delete
  5. It is so sad and I feel for the Queen as well. I can't imagine having your best friend for 73 years and then being the one that has to go on without him. I had no idea he had so many talents, interests & hobbies. I always love the education I receive reading your blog Trish. Lol I love how you share your memories. So fun to read. I hope you have a blessed rest of your week! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, It was fun looking back over the Duke's life, which was extraordinary. Glad you find it fun - it is also fun to think back over funny memories from one's life. Blessings :)

      Delete
  6. I never knew he painted, Patricia. Interestingly, my brother still runs Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme hikes into the Welsh mountains. I do think it’s a shame he didn’t make it to his 100th birthday, but above all, it must be so sad for the queen. My heart goes out to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to know your brother is involved in the great D of E Award scheme. It is a terrific organisation. So sad for the Queen, poor lady.

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely and informative post, Patricia. When the Royal Family (for the children came, too) visited our small town in northern British Columbia one summer, my mother dressed us all up and off we went to see them. I was about 14 at the time and remember how lovely they all looked.
    I didn't know that the Duke painted and thought the work he did of the Queen at breakfast just delightful.
    And today the Queen is 95. What a sad birthday she must be having, missed her beloved Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I am also thinking of the Queen at this sad time.
    I thought the funeral service for him was very well done. Thanks for sharing everything that you did on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've also been impressed by all I've read of Prince Philip and his accomplishments, but I didn't know he painted! The painting you've posted is beautiful.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful tribute to Prince Phillip! I especially appreciate the sweet painting! thank you for sharing darling! XOX

    ReplyDelete