Tuesday, May 3, 2016

FABULOUS FASHION


I read a few books while I was lying about with the flu...
Diana Vreeland [1903-1989], fashion magazine editor extraordinaire, at both Harpers Bazaar and later Vogue.
Of course I enjoyed it - always love fashion history, the glamour, and the intrigue...


In 1971  Diana moved on to become a special consultant at the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
Over the next 13 years she organised twelve exhibitions, to great acclaim.

The annual fundraising Met Gala was one of her pet projects, and her friendships with the likes of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis made for glittering occasions.  The Gala serves as the opening celebration for the Institute's annual fashion exhibition.  The second half of the bio concentrates on Diana's term at the Costume Institute, raising its profile and status with her fabulous exhibitions and events.


Jackie attended the 1979 Met Gala in black Valentino...



When I began working as a Gallery Guide, one of my first assignments was with the amazing Valentino Retrospective which came to Brisbane in 2010.

I loved it so much - would finish one tour, grab a drink of water, walk back to the entrance and start the next one!
It was incredibly popular.....



and one of the dresses on show was Jackie's black gown from the Met Gala:



Yesterday the Met Gala was once again shining on Fifth Avenue, New York.  The 2016 theme is Fashion in the Age of Technology..

A galaxy of silver, black and white shimmered on the red carpet....



'Our' Nicole Kidman..,



Fashion as art...





Think of robots, machines....









and giant trains...



Loved this seafoam green, Lapita..



And the fairest of them all:


Claire Danes in fabulous fairytale white -



which glows in the dark!!

Exquisite...





May the Fourth be with you...
XXXX


19 comments:

  1. You can make a dress that glows in the dark but the black Valentino dress worn by Jackie Onassis outshines it! Simply elegant. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, old-style glamour absolutely wins for me also! xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful dresses, all of them! What artistry! I think my comment on your last post should have been for this one. I got confused and ran them together, so here I will say I hope your dad brightens up in the cooler weather! Keep well, Patricia! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun looking at the amazing outfits, and thinking of the technical challenges! We all will brighten when/if real cooler weather eventually arrives. Doing my best to achieve Wellness. x

      Delete
  3. Glad you love the fairytale dress to. Should be more of those. As for the other two, they are just Very Naughty Girls, looking for attention, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun to see dramatic fashions. Nicole Kidmann is really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a real fantasy world isn't it. Nicole Kidman has a great eye for a good design!

      Delete
  5. What fun to see the Met Gala gowns! I suppose on the same fashion level as the Academy Award gowns. I'll have to read the Epress of Fashion book this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fun with fashion Debra. You will have to read Diana's book - I am sure you know well the locations she frequented in New York.

      Delete
  6. I've read this book as well. What an amazing character she was. And such glamour.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amalia, yes Diana was so unusual, and fascinating. She probably re-shaped history in her own way. Thank you for dropping by. x

      Delete
  7. Jackie Onassis was my pin-up girl when I was younger - I remember having a little strawberry pink suit for my honeymoon based on her slightly flared skirts and Channel style jackets.
    Claire Danes glow in the dark dress really is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I was a Jackie fan too - and I also had a little strawberry pink boucle suit, chanel jacket, and the same skirt. Twins!! Jackie had a profound impact on us all.

      Delete
  8. The gowns are incredible aren't they! Not sure if I would want to be glowing in the dark in my dress, but it is amazing. Hope that the forth was with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - yes, our sons sent cryptic messages re the force! That's what happens when you have lots of brothers, sons, and grandsons :) xx

      Delete
  9. Jackie was my fave - Oh that Valentino gown - I would have loved wearing that to balls when I was young - who wouldn't!!!
    I always love your fashion posts Patricia - Diana Vreeland was an influential fashionista when I was young.
    My flatmates and I treated ourselves to an American Vogue each season and they were a source of ideas for our own dressmaking - those were the days!
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you also have a strawberry pink Chanel type suit also? I even had a little pill box hat to go with mine. Jackie was so popular and fashion influential. Good idea to share a Vogue - and we were all into the dressmaking back in the day :)

      Delete
  10. Its Jackie O and Claire Danes for me...gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice! Hello, hope you are going well these days. Are you in France? It must be gorgeous in Spring. Yes, elegant and beautiful dresses win every time - I remember your fabulous silver birthday dress :)) xox

      Delete