Friday, October 18, 2013

THE PINK LINEN REVEAL


Well, I finally finished my pink linen dress ...
under trying circumstances...


Do the sleeves look a little large?
That's because they are - (I am having a little medical trouble in the department of arm)


What really put me to the test was the demise, several weeks ago, of my trusty Overlocker (serger) machine - 
after only about 25 years of constant hard work ....

Knowing the local Craft Expo was coming up, I decided to wait until then, to test all the usual brands in one location, and hopefully get a Show Special.

And I did - yesterday - and await delivery of a lovely new Bernina machine next week.


I decided to sew ahead on the pink, and telling myself that Coco Chanel didn't have an overlocker when she started out, and look where she ended up,
I thought back to the sewing lessons of the past.

For the stitched detail on the front of this dress, I did this:


Folded the seam edges inwards, and stitched down on the outside:




The pattern is the shift dress in Butterick B5821, with a centre front bodice seam, and dropped waist.


The dress is lined with bemsilk, and sans serger, I finished the lining edge with lace, and used purchased bias binding to finish the linen hem.
I put fusible hemming tape inside the linen hem to give body.

The dress is cool and comfortable to wear, and feels very feminine...



OPI have a special for October: Breast Cancer Awareness...
Called Pink of Hearts, a percentage of the sale goes to breast cancer research.

You get a pretty pink polish, plus glitter and decals.
I'm not really a decal kind of girl, but love the pink polish:



Have a perfectly lovely weekend in the pink!

XXXX


21 comments:

  1. So glad you managed to pick out a new overlocker, Patricia! You do wonder how we ever sewed without one. Love your dress, such a lovely tribute to Breast Cancer, and the colour is beautiful on you ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith, I have always loved wearing pink, and yes, overlocking has become such an ingrained habit when sewing, it was interesting to work without it, and I was pleased with the result.

      Delete
  2. The dress is great.. a real triumph, and I love the lining. I hope the arm problems improve. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, off to the lymphedema clinic on Monday ... fingers crossed! I love the pink/white lace on the lining too. xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Valerie, pink is the girliest colour of all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just so impressed with your sewing talent. The dress does look super comfy and seeing your pink toes has reminded me that I must sort my toes out, I wonder what colour? Maybe black as Halloween is coming :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, black would be fun, scary and chic all at the same time! Sewing is my relaxation, and I love the pink dress. xx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this glimpse into the details of your sewing skills, Patricia. I'm deeply impressed. I love your pink dress but am sorry about the need for roomy sleeves. My sister-in-law is close to the end of treatment for an aggressive breast cancer and she too has developed lymphoedema. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Perpetua, old sewing skills just keep on keeping on. My mother sewed until the end, at age 89. So sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, and I really only half understand lymphoedema. At least roomy sleeves are not hard to make :-)

      Delete
  6. The dress looks lovely on you! I admire your sewing skills, and wish you could impart some of them to me. I am hopeless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristie; but then, you can knit, so beautifully, and I am hopeless at that!

      Delete
  7. Just the powdery shade of pink I like! An elegant dress - I would not have paid attention to the width of the sleeves, had you not mentioned it.
    And my, your handwork, stitching is so beautiful. Something for keepers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope it is a dress for keepers Mette. I love powdery pink too, and a dress with elegance. So win win on this one...I do find sewing, especially hand sewing, very soothing.

      Delete
  8. Your little pink dress is beautiful Trish and it looks so lovely on you. I know without a doubt how beautifully made it would be. I do hope your arm heals quickly. All the best for Monday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Michelle! I'll get myself sorted, then we will catch up.. xxx

      Delete
  9. Dear Patricia looking pretty in pink. I can see what a wonderful seamstress you are. Do hope that the medical problem in your arm is soon dealt with for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary - I have always loved sewing, from my earliest years creating dolls clothes. Rotten lymphoedema ....

      Delete
  10. Beautifully made and beautifully modelled! You are indeed a wonderful seamstress and I love the lining. Hope your arms situation improves, but really I wouldn't have noticed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Sulky K, and thank you - I for one have always loved a pretty silk lining... Yay for generous sleeves!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely dress and it looks so good on you. Enjoyed the pictures of the little fellows. As it is Monday already, I will be thinking of you and your appointment at the clinic and sending my best.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete